Thread: Toshiba T110/00D woes :'(

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Angry Toshiba T110/00D woes :'(

The Toshiba T110/00D doesn't like Ubuntu very much at all. Here are the problems Ubuntu has on it:

1. Wifi doesn't want to work. Its a RealTek RTL8191SE, and no matter what I do (I did all that was on this site and I'm still trying the suggestions on it). I don't know if the driver for the RTL8192SE will work as well, though hopefully Ubuntu 10.04 finally releases a fix for this very annoying problem. Until then, anyone with a RTL8191SE enjoying wireless freedom on Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, or even better, Ubuntu 10.04 Alpha 1 (via LiveUSB)?

2. Screen brightness won't change. Even in the Alpha, it won't change, even after I use the buttons to get it to do so. Funny thing is, notify-OSD comes up with the notifications saying that the screen brightnesses changed. No idea what's happening there . Anyone know how to get this working as well?

3. The webcam doesn't work. And I have no idea how to find out which model it is so I can finally try searching for a fix for it. How would I search to find what the model of the webcam is?

4. I don't think the microphone works either, and its the same situation with the webcam. How do I get it working?

NOTE: I am using an Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit Alpha 1 (fully updated) because its the only Ubuntu I know that has ethernet working (wouldn't work in 9.10). When I eventually install 10.04 onto an SD card, then I'll let you know if there is any progress on any of the above.

EDIT: After a fiasco that almost saw me not being able to access the recovery mode (it didn't come with recovery cd's), I decided to stick with the LiveUSB (until 10.04 is released).

EDIT (again): After realising that I could easily go into recovery mode via the GRUB, I've decided to install Ubuntu onto the lappy sometime soon )
    Last edited by Vignesh S; December 15th, 2009 at 11:46 PM. Reason: Update on installing Ubuntu onto laptop

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Toshiba T110/00D woes :'(

Anyone out there that has a Toshiba T110 with Ubuntu on it?
    Last edited by Vignesh S; December 16th, 2009 at 08:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Vignesh S View Post
    Anyone out there that has a Toshib T110 with Ubuntu on it?
    Mine's an M200 with a different chipset that I haven't a problem with. Can't help, sorry. Maybe someone else can.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So I'm taking this to be that I'm the only one out there that's actually running Ubuntu Linux on this laptop?

EDIT: Got wifi working in Ubuntu 10.04. Trying to get it to work in 9.10 32-bit
    Last edited by Vignesh S; December 21st, 2009 at 10:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

YAY!! Wifi works Now to fix up that screen brightness issue...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Vignesh S View Post
    YAY!! Wifi works Now to fix up that screen brightness issue...
    My function keys brightness settings save for only that single session. To globally affect the laptop, I had to "sudo nvidia-settings" and modify the brightness/gamma to my liking from there. Sorry it isn't more user friendly.
    Desktop 1: Intel i-7 2600K | ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen 3 | nVidia GTX 570 TwinFrozr | 16GB DDR3-1600 G.Skill | HTClaro Omega 7.1
    Laptop: Intel C2Duo T6600 | nVidia GT 230M | 4GB DDR3-1066 | 16" Widescreen