Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.10 x64 - Flash still will not work

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

9.10 x64 - Flash still will not work

I've tried everything in the Flash thread in the x64 forums, but flash still does not work for me. Flash worked fine back when I was running Firefox 3.0 and 9.04, but since the upgrade it has stopped working and nothing I do seems to fix the problem.

Does anyone have a 100% definite fix for this? This is rather annoying....

thanks,
    - Justin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: 9.10 x64 - Flash still will not work

You have tried these?

# 64 bit flash fix
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1263905
    # Howto fix Flash on Ubuntu 9.10
    If you are not able to click on flash (e.g. on Youtube), here is how to fix this known bug (works for both 32-bit and 64-bit):

1. Press ALT+F2 and enter:
    gksudo gedit /usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer

2. Add the following line before the last line in the file:
    export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1

3. Save and restart Firefox, or if this doesn't fix it, try restarting Ubuntu.

# Location of flash player plug in
    /usr/lib/firefox-addons/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans

Dont know if this will help after an upgrade but it worked for me on a fresh install...

http://www.myscienceisbetter.info/in...-on-linux.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I forgot to mention, my issue isn't one of an illegal instruction crash not being able to use the flash 'controls' or clicking on it; any page that has flash content tells me I need to install the plug-in....but I've already installed it....numerous times. I've tried the 'beta' from Adobe, I've tried the repository versions, I've tried the launchpad 'patched' version or whatever it was. I've tried purging all flash installs before reinstalling each one, and nothing seems to work.
    - Justin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I forgot to mention, my issue isn't one of an illegal instruction crash not being able to use the flash 'controls' or clicking on it; any page that has flash content tells me I need to install the plug-in....but I've already installed it....numerous times. I've tried the 'beta' from Adobe, I've tried the repository versions, I've tried the launchpad 'patched' version or whatever it was. I've tried purging all flash installs before reinstalling each one, and nothing seems to work.
    This link worked for me.Make sure you remove previous versions.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Where exactly have you installed the alpha Flash plugin to?

Make sure you only have ONE copy of Flash Player on your system otherwise your browser can get confused and report wrong versions of Flash. This might be causing your problem.

Have you tried the Flash Player PPA?
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

My environment is 9.10 x64 running on a Dell 1420 laptop.

Fancypiper's fix did not work for me, but PRC09's did. I can confirm that the following link works 'on an upgrade' to 9.10 (see PRC09's comment, above) ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by h'bel h'balim View Post
    My environment is 9.10 x64 running on a Dell 1420 laptop.

Fancypiper's fix did not work for me, but PRC09's did. I can confirm that the following link works 'on an upgrade' to 9.10 (see PRC09's comment, above) ...

Yep, that link contains the way to do it for 64-bit installs (that has worked for me for quite a while now).

Good to see Adobe have released another version - another step closer to an official 64-bit release.

Check it post-install with:
    Code:
    about:plugins
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I have an update. I ran the shell script from that myscienceisbetter site, and still no dice. Youtube was telling me I'm either running an older version of Flash, or Java wasn't installed....so I checked the Java website and it told me that I needed to install the plug-in.

I tried installing the Sun Java 6 plug-in from the Ubuntu Software Center, but got a 'Package dependencies cannot be resolved' error. I tried going through synaptic, but it gives me this error:

"Sun-java6-plugin:
    Depends: sun-java6-bin (=6-15-1) but 6-16-0ubuntu1.9.04 is to be installed"

It also told me I had to install 'Firefox' when I marked it for installation, which I uninstalled when I uninstalled FF3.5. When I reinstalled Firefox, I only reinstalled 3.5, not 'Firefox'. Why would it need FF3.0 reinstalled?? More importantly, how do I resolve this?

Thanks,
    - Justin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I used this site a couple of days ago. The instructions can be changed for each new
    version of Flash (just modify the version numbers) It is for Karmic and the 32 bit
    instructions are on the left side and the 64 bit instructions are on the right side.
    http://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/java

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast