Thread: I need a distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I need a distro

So... I have to fix my aunt computer because it runs really slow and it's using Windows XP (ilegally and now WGA thing is annoying) so I told her about linux. The problem is that she isn't really good with computers and her comp is a bit old... 256MB ram and like less than 1.5GHz processor I tried using Ubuntu live cd and everything loaded but during the installation it hanged at step 2 of 7 (where you choose the local time).

I was wondering if Xubuntu could be the best choice... but I don't know if DSL or Puppylinux or other distro i dont know could be better or something...

Thanks~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: I need a distro

What does your aunt do with her computer now ? Play game , surf the web , do her taxes ? Simple things or complex ?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Atzu.

This should help.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...emRequirements

Keep in mind, that graphics could be something to look at.
    I learn something ubuntu everyday.
    dell precision T7500 1Tb hdd x 2
    2.67 Ghz intel xeon X5550 cpu
    nvidia quadro fx 4800-1.5 Gb video card

Beans

Obsolete ram is usually very cheap / free. Might be something to consider. Rather than trying to get to use linux. You'd have to install and setup EVERYTHING, EVERYTIME. 10 bucks on ebay might be a better solution.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

She use the computer to make word files and excel and yeah check her mail and that...

I don't believe i have the time to search old RAM around here... and I can't buy online atm... im only 17 i need to be 18 to do that... and here in Costa Rica I don't think i can find cheap old RAM.

Also he already used ubuntu before on my computer and she didn't ask anything... So I think it won't matter teaching her a bit of linux. I'm on vacations anyway so I can help her.

Oh and hansdown thanks for that link... if that's true my aunt computer should be able to run Xubuntu live cd and install since the computer meets the recommended minimum requirements. Or i can use an alt-install