Thread: Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

Hybrid View

Beans

Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

Hello,

I received the Lemur Ultrathin laptop (with Intel SSD 80GB) a few days ago. It's a beautiful and light laptop, but I have the following issues.

If you bought the same laptop and encountered the same problems and/or know how to fix any of them, please let me know.

1. "Media test failure" when booting up

When I boot up the machine, the first screen shows something like:

Code:
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE Rom.

What's this and why does this show up? Is this in any way related to one or more of the issues below..?

2. Skype Doesn't Work Out of the Box

Although I was told by Thomas@System76 that Skype works out of the box, after I installed
    http://www.skype.com/intl/en/downloa.../linux/choose/
    (Ubuntu 8.10+ 64-bit)
    and went to "Options"->"Video Devices", the pull-down menu shows no webcam device.

Did I miss something?

I did the modprobe thing in the following post with no luck. Skype or Cheese still don't see any device.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=634393

3. One Screw Missing

This is probably only me, but mine came with a screw missing for the USIM Card Bay Cover so it can be easily opened...
    Thomas, if you are reading this, please let me know if you can send me the same screw or tell me if I can buy this kind of thing locally (I live in Canada, btw.)

4. Fan Noise

Since I paid extra for Intel SSD, when fan is not on, it's really silent, which is great, but when the fan turns on, it's kind of noisy. And the fan turns on quite often. I don't know if it has to be like that.

I appreciate your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

1) I think this is because netboot is ahead of the hard drive in the boot sequence. Check the boot order in the BIOS.

2) Is there a hardware toggle for the webcam? Fn+F10 does it on my Pangolin, but it is not marked. Check the documentation/welcome manual.

Beans

Thanks for your help, marshmallow1304.

For (1), I'll try changing the boot sequence in the BIOS setting and report back the result.

Is there a hardware toggle for the webcam?

Not sure.. and Fn+F10 doesn't seem to work..

I forgot to mention that Skype test call doesn't work either. Also tried Sound Recorder. It's not working. So it's not just the camera. Microphone is not recognized either.

I did run the System76 Driver Installer, but Lemur Ultrathin is not even listed in the following Knowledge76 page:

http://www.knowledge76.com/index.php/Cameras

Any help is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the microphone, try going to System->Preferences->Sound, Input tab, and setting Connector to Microphone 2 (This assumes you are on Karmic.).

Beans

[..] setting Connector to Microphone 2

Sound Recorder worked with this setting! Thanks a lot. Now I know at least the mic is not defective

However, Skype test call still fails:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Mark.ST View Post
    However, Skype test call still fails:

Hmm.. My settings look exactly like that except I don't have that box checked. What happens when you do "Make a test sound"?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You should Google the error message. It might mean there is a loose cable. That could also account for the missing webcam. (If Cheese also does not find the webcam.)

If you reboot when the system is warm, does the same error show up?