Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

Beans

Re: Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

1. "Media test failure" when booting up

Definitely boot order.

Thanks. This problem was solved (please see one of my above posts)

2. Skype Doesn't Work Out of the Box

Make sure you've installed Skype (and your other restricted codecs from)...
    http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Ins...ricted_Formats

On the webcam, run your system76 driver and then reboot. Then Fn-F10 should turn it on.

Thanks for the link. I ran the 3 commands on top (2 medibuntu and 1 codecs command) and they worked, but when I run apt-get install skype, I get this:

Code:
    $ sudo apt-get install skype
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Package skype is not available, but is referred to by another package.
    This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
    is only available from another source
    E: Package skype has no installation candidate
    This is after I removed Skype that I installed from the Skype official site. I don't know if the one from apt-get is different from the deb package available on the Skype site, but it sounds like I should use apt-get to install Skype, so let me know how to work around this issue.

Also, as mentioned in one of above posts, I did run System76 Driver Installer and rebooted but camera is not recognized by both Skype and Cheese. Fn+F10 doesn't work either.

Please let me know if further info is required. After I get this working most of my problems are gone.

3. One Screw Missing

I've gotten your email on that. We'll get another screw out to you.

Great! I'll wait for that and report back when I get it.

4. Fan Noise

There isn't really much to adjust there. You could try installing the cpu scaling applets on your upper panel and scaling your cpu down.

Ok.. This is not a very good news because the fan keeps running for ~7 minutes after every 7 to 10 minutes of silence (can anyone confirm this?). And when it's on, it's actually a bit noisier than the 3 year old Dell laptop (no SSD) I had before..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let's focus on your webcam for now. No sense dealing with Skype until the cam is running.

Go to http://planet76.com/repositories and download the latest driver. It will be the second link from the bottom.

Once you get it downloaded, install it. Then go to System > Admin > System76 Driver > Install (tab) > Install (button).

When it's done, reboot.

Then check Fn-F10.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Go to http://planet76.com/repositories and download the latest driver. It will be the second link from the bottom.
    Once you get it downloaded, install it.

Thanks for your support.

I downloaded system76-driver-2.4.0.deb (I hope I'm getting the version right), and tried to install it. Here's what I get:

"Error: A later version is already installed"

Please let me know how to proceed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Let's take this one up via a phone conversation for efficiency's sake. Can you give me a call when you get a chance?

http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=24

Just call the sales line.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Let's take this one up via a phone conversation for efficiency's sake. Can you give me a call when you get a chance?

Well, I tend to miss a lot of things on a phone conversation so I actually prefer this forum (not to mention there may be people with the same or similar problem who are reading this or who later google or search this forum to find this thread).

I don't mind the resolution being slightly slower, as long as you keep answering my questions

If that's ok please tell me the steps I should take. I'll try them and report back the results.

I just read that another model has a similar issue with webcam with the latest driver, after upgrading to Karmic. Could be a Karmic issue?
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1356308

Anyway, I look forward to your reply.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Fair enough.

What version of the System76 Driver are you using? It should be 2.4.2. An update broke the webcams on Lemurs, and the 2.4.2. drive should fix it. The only way to get it though, if you don't already have it installed, is from me via email.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I clicked the "About" button in "System Information" tab in System76 Driver Installer, and the version seems to be 2.4.1.

Sounds like an update to the driver is available, so I'll email you to ask for the version 2.4.2. Any reason why it's not publicly available (yet)?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes. We're still working on adding some other features to it. It should be publicly available soon.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Awesome, after I installed Driver 2.4.2, the cam is working on both Cheese and Skype! Yay

BisonCam, NB Pro Recognized

Now...

Skype test call still fails as I said in below link (with screenshots):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...33&postcount=5

Any idea why it's not working? BTW I installed Skype from the official site again.
    Last edited by Mark.ST; December 18th, 2009 at 03:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think you have to install the pulseaudio volume control, do the test call, and setup input devices for the correct microphone and volume while skype is calling. I still have a problem on my other laptop with skype microphone volume being way too low and I suspect it won't be fixed until lucid. A quick fix if you have other issues is to try using the older version of skype from before they forced you to use pulseaudio for all 3 devices.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast