Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Lemur Ultrathin Laptop Issues

As marshmallow1304 says, this really isn't a proper solution. For example, after killing pulse, normal stuff like volume control stops working. You know, even if Skype worked with this solution (it didn't), it's not the only application I use. I want other stuff to work too.

Please give me some real solution that (a) actually works and (b) doesn't break anything. Can't you test with Lemur by the way?
    I've requested on of our techs take screenshots of how to get the mic working with Sound Recorder. I've also asked them to test with Skype.

As for Skype, we have no control over that piece of software. They've removed it from the medibuntu repos, and the only version on Skype's website goes back to 8.10. If they've stopped maintaining a version of it that is optimized for Ubuntu, then a work-around may well be the only option we can offer you.
    To err is human, to forgive is very ... dog-like.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

OK, so it appears Skype has been removed from the 64-bit medibuntu repositories, but it is still in the 32-bit repos.

I've attached some screenshots. For the volume control panels, please notice that one is for an external mic, and one is for the internal mic (you can tell which is which by the filenames). There is also a screenshot of Skype's audio settings, which only seem to work in 32-bit.

Please test:
    1. If you can record from sound recorder using those volume control settings. (They should work equally well in 32-bit and 64-bit.)

2. If Skype will work using these sound recorder settings plus the above pulseaudio hack. (We've already seen it will not work using the skype settings in the screenshots in 64-bit.)

My shop lemur is currently being tested with a new 32-bit kerel (the PAE kernel, which is 32-bit but has the ability to see 4GB of RAM), and they can't put 64-bit on it just yet.

So, if those sound recorder settings, and the hack will get you through until then, we will investigate it more under 64-bit soon.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by thomasaaron; December 23rd, 2009 at 05:30 PM.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

If they've stopped maintaining a version of it that is optimized for Ubuntu, then a work-around may well be the only option we can offer you.

Well, but the problem is the "work-around" you offered didn't work. You read my post, right? Please tell me if that killing pulse thing worked on your side with Lemur. ("Worked" means you can make Skype calls.)

Please test:
    1. If you can record from sound recorder using those volume control settings. (They should work equally well in 32-bit and 64-bit.)

I already said in this thread, twice, that Sound Recorder works with the "Microphone 2" option, thanks to marshmallow1304's advice. Please see:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...33&postcount=5
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...1&postcount=25

So, yes, I can record sound with the Sound Recorder app.

Same for test 2. I did change the mic to Microphone 2 and killed pulse and chose Intel HDA setting. Skype didn't work and still doesn't work. And your tech people saw Skype doesn't work on Lemur, right? How can it possibly work on my side?

Please, when you find a proper solution on how to get Skype working on Lemur, post the step-by-step instruction here.

Right now, Skype does not work out of the box on Lemur Ultrathin, and there's no working work-around yet. Tom, please confirm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

You read my post, right?
    ("Worked" means you can make Skype calls.)
    And your tech people saw Skype doesn't work on Lemur, right? How can it possibly work on my side?
    I would greatly appreciate it if you wold consider less rude approach to getting support on this forum. Once these threads reach a certain length, they become quite difficult to keep track of, especially considering we receive a huge quantity of sales and support requests daily, and yours is only one of them. But we do our best make sure everything gets answered.

Admittedly, getting this one answered hasn't been as efficient as one would hope, partially because 1) I didn't realize that Skype was no longer available in the 64-bit Ubuntu repos, and 2) because our Lemur currently isn't available for testing this particular 64-bit issue. However, you've been treated with nothing less than courtesy. It would be nice to receive the same treatment.

Code:
    Please tell me if that killing pulse thing worked on your side with Lemur.
    As I mentioned, our Lemur is currently being tested with a 32-bit PAE kernel, in which Skype works perfectly with pulseaudio enabled. I won't have a chance to check it with a 64-bit kernel until after the holiday.
    Last edited by thomasaaron; December 24th, 2009 at 12:49 AM.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

I would greatly appreciate it if you wold consider less rude approach to getting support on this forum. Once these threads reach a certain length, they become quite difficult to keep track of, especially considering we receive a huge quantity of sales and support requests daily, and yours is only one of them. But we do our best make sure everything gets answered.

Admittedly, getting this one answered hasn't been as efficient as one would hope, partially because 1) I didn't realize that Skype was no longer available in the 64-bit Ubuntu repos, and 2) because our Lemur currently isn't available for testing this particular 64-bit issue. However, you've been treated with nothing less than courtesy. It would be nice to receive the same treatment.
    Sorry if my response sounded rude. Actually it doesn't sound rude in my taste, but hey, English is not my first language so maybe there are many people offended by this tone of English. Again, sorry, that's not my intention. I tried to make it direct and straightforward.

(Especially the second one you quoted about Skype calls, that's to make it clear that "worked" does not mean "killall pulseaudio worked without errors", but means "Skype worked (i.e. You can make Skype calls).")

But yes, I'm sure it's very hard to keep track of everything in the System76 forum.

But you have to remember that I asked specifically about Skype before purchasing this laptop. Here's our dialog on November 12 (I placed my order on November 26):
    [...]
    (2) Skype. Have you tested if Skype for Linux (latest version) works out of the box (both voice and video chat) without any issues or tweaks whatsoever with your hardware? Skype caused a lot of trouble on my current Dell laptop, so I don't want to buy another laptop until I can confirm this.

TA: Yes, Skype works fine. You may have to enable your microphone via the sound control panel and make some tweaks *within* Skype's options. But that's about it.
    [...]
    So I'm a bit disappointed that you said "Yes" without testing if this really works or not. As a customer, I certainly don't want to be treated like this. You could say, "I haven't tested Skype with Lemur but since it seems to be working on other models so it will work fine," then at least it's honest and I wouldn't be that disappointed.

Beans

I found the following blog post. Not sure if it works, but I'll look into it.

Skype on 64 bit Ubuntu
    http://oligofren.wordpress.com/2008/...64-bit-ubuntu/

Beans

Nope, the above solution didn't work for me - I get the same "Call Failed" message.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just tested a Lemur with a fresh 64-bit image from our server. Skype works perfectly on it out of the box with no tweaking (other than setting up the right mic and the volume sliders).

Here are screenshots of my set-up. Make sure volume sliders (particularly input sliders are way up).

Edit:
    This is with the Skype download from Skype.com for Ubuntu 8.10+.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Beans

Great! So you updated the Ubuntu that comes with Lemur, and it sounds like that fixed the Skype/pulse problem.

Where can I download the image for fresh install from your server? Can I install it using a USB flash drive? How do I do that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Great! So you updated the Ubuntu that comes with Lemur, and it sounds like that fixed the Skype/pulse problem.
    We haven't updated anything since Lemurs started shipping.

Where can I download the image for fresh install from your server?
    You cannot download from our server; it doesn't contain .iso images anyway.

It doesn't appear there is (or was) a skype/pulse problem for the Lemur.

In previous posts, your screenshot shows you are using the pulseaudio volume control, which you must have installed (as it doesn't come with the base install of Ubuntu or on our systems). My best guess is that either 1) this broke some aspect of skype or pulseaudio; or 2) you don't have that particular volume control set up correctly.

Skype works out of the box with the standard volume controls (i.e Sound Preferences).

On the chance that the pulseaudio volume control *didn't* break skype or some aspect of pulseaudio, your sliders for Mic2 seem too low. You will notice mine are much higher. This did make a difference in my own testing, but I don't know if that matters on your particular set-up.

You may want to try uninstalling the pulseaudio volume control, and maybe --reinstall pulseaudio. Then try using the setup in my screenshots with standard Sound Preferences tool.

Can I install it using a USB flash drive? How do I do that?
    It's may not be necessary. But if you decide to re-install, here are instructions...

http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Restoring_Your_System

Instead of creating a CD, though, you probably will want to use your current system to create a bootable Ubuntu USB drive (System > Hardware > USB start-up disk creator).
    Last edited by thomasaaron; December 30th, 2009 at 09:14 PM.

Thomas Aaron
    FetchMasters, LLC

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast