Thread: Thunderbird 3 installation help

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thunderbird 3 installation help

So, I just downloaded the thunderbird 3 from mozilla's website and I was wondering how do I install it?

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Thunderbird 3 installation help

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    okay so I used the code from the site you mentioned...
    Code:
    if [[ ! -f /usr/bin/thunderbird ]]; then sudo apt-get update && sudo  apt-get install thunderbird; fi && if [[ -e ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ]];  then cp -R ~/.mozilla-thunderbird ~/.mozilla-thunderbird.backup; fi &&  if [[ -e ~/.thunderbird ]]; then cp -R ~/.thunderbird  ~/.thunderbird.backup; fi && sudo tar -jxvf thunderbird-3*.tar.bz2 -C  /opt && rm thunderbird-3*.tar.bz2 && sudo dpkg-divert --divert  /usr/bin/thunderbird.ubuntu --rename /usr/bin/thunderbird && sudo ln - s /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/thunderbird && sudo dpkg- divert --divert /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird.ubuntu --rename  /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird && sudo ln -s  /opt/thunderbird/thunderbird /usr/bin/mozilla-thunderbird
    After entering the code i got the following error when I tried to launch thunderbird

Code:
    "Could not launch 'Mozilla Thunderbird Mail/News'
    Failed to execute child process
    "thunderbird" (No such fire or directory)
    EDIT: I created the folder thunderbird in the /usr/bin/ directory...and now i keep getting permission denied error message when i try to open thunderbird
    Last edited by Crash~Override; December 12th, 2009 at 07:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think the PPA at the bottom of the psychocats page is the easiest way of installing. I tried the script install without seeing that the targz had to be in home 1st and had no luck. The I don't think the PPA is as up to date as the Mozilla download but it still works fine.

I think aysiu will help you with the Mozilla install if given enough time.

Beans
    Distro

Actually I just figured it out...After using the code I actually looked at the code to see what it did..I got it working...I just had to update the command in the launcher properties...
    It was set to "thunderbird %u". I just changed it to "/opt/thunderbird/thunderbird" and it worked.

But thanks anyways.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Sorry. For some reason, a space creeped into one of the commands (between the - and the s).

Should be fixed now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So much for Ubuntu being "as good as windows" for regular user...

Thanks for this command, it finally did the trick after I spent some one hour looking for how to install that downloaded thunderbird 3...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The easiest way to install Thunderbird 3.0 in Karmic is by using the Mozilla Beta PPA . As of today it has Shredder RC3, which is by all practical means identical to the final Thunderbird 3 release.

The build from this PPA will integrate better into your Ubuntu and look much nicer than Mozilla's own. Plus, unlike the Mozilla Daily Build PPA, you'll only get milestone releases, not daily updates.

@Sejanus: Declaring Ubuntu inferior to Windows whenever something doesn't work as you expect, even half-jokingly, is considered bad manners around here. Don't do it. It's trolling and won't make you any friends.