Thread: 3D game with open source ATI/Radeon driver?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy 3D game with open source ATI/Radeon driver?

Almost a year ago, when the newest ATI Catalyst driver still had support for my notebook's Mobility Radeon X1600 (R500 chipset series), I purchased the enjoyable Penny Arcade game Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness Episode 2. It ran just fine
    , and I got about six hours into the game before giving up games for a period of time.

Then came two changes: the announcement that ATI/AMD would drop support for my card in the next Catalyst driver release, then a kernel and xserver update that prevented me from using the older Catalyst 9.3 driver.

I didn't pay close attention when that all happened. I wasn't playing very many games.

Tonight I decided to take a break and fire up the game. I got this message:

I Googled the error message and found this and several other threads. The solution for everyone seemed to be to update to the latest binary driver...

...which doesn't bode well for me, who can no longer avail of fglrx. I'm emailing Hothead support, but I'm pessimistic they have a fix beyond downgrading to 8.10 or earlier. What do you guys think in the meantime? Am I screwed?

(I've attached what I think the the relevant lshw output. After all this time, I still haven't learnt the relevant modprobe magic spell. Heh. I'd be happy to learn, though.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by olifhar; December 12th, 2009 at 06:14 AM. Reason: cropped the screenshot so it would no longer be obscenely large, fixed som ehorrible typos

Beans

Re: 3D game with open source ATI/Radeon driver?

Am I screwed?
    At the moment, yes, unless you manage to get an older xserver and install the binary drivers.

Open source GLSL 1.2 for R300-R500 cards will likely come via a Gallium3D driver, which is under development for now: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...1d94588358c94b

.. but who knows, the classic mesa driver is still being worked on too: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks. I've learned my lesson, and in the future I'll probably avoid ATI cards completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by olifhar View Post
    Thanks. I've learned my lesson, and in the future I'll probably avoid ATI cards completely.
    That's not the lesson; it's not that simple, but I digress...