Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast

Thread: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Beans

Re: I have disabled the Maverick Nightly PPA

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    hmm I only do Firefox here...
    Sorry, I should have been clearer! I'm after Firefox Nightlies and Thuderbird Dailies!

I just wondered if you knew whether I could use a different Firefox Nightly build on Maverick (eg Natty) or if it might cause issues.

What is the build at the top of your list with no Ubuntu version - is it a generic build, or maybe it's for Precise?

d

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Arrow Re: I have disabled the Maverick Nightly PPA

Quote Originally Posted by cheekybuddha View Post
    Sorry, I should have been clearer! I'm after Firefox Nightlies and Thuderbird Dailies!

I just wondered if you knew whether I could use a different Firefox Nightly build on Maverick (eg Natty) or if it might cause issues.

What is the build at the top of your list with no Ubuntu version - is it a generic build, or maybe it's for Precise?

d

[Original packages from ubuntu-mozilla-daily]

If you create your own PPA then you do get some options on how you copy packages from Ubuntu-mozilla-daily

e.g.

View package details > Copy packages

Select the destination PPA.

Destination series:
    Select the destination series.

Copy options: Rebuild the copied sources
    Copy existing binaries
    How the selected sources should be copied to the destination archive.

or Cancel
    But I haven't really played about with these settings much...

I would recommend a VM and a bit of testing before using such a package (if it even builds successfully).

I would say you would be better off getting your Nightly from Mozilla direct.

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o.../latest-trunk/
    Last edited by SilverWave; March 15th, 2012 at 08:38 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June

Hmm interesting...

Mozilla will start Firefox silent updates in June

"Updates will now be downloaded and installed silently in the background," wrote Nyman in a Wednesday post to the Hacks Mozilla blog. "Silent updates are currently planned to land in Firefox 13."

Beans
    Distro

Arrow New PPA Firefox Beta - Precise

Firefox Beta - Precise

1. SilverWave
    2. Firefox Beta - Precise

PPA description

The latest firefox Beta - No other packages.
    Copied from firefox-next, Ubuntu Security Proposed & Ubuntu Mozilla Security.
    Warning! I am impatient and I copy packages before they have been fully tested.
    I even copy packages when status reads "Publishing has been disabled for this archive".
    I can do this in good conscience as these ppa's are for my personal use, although I have no problem with others using them.
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:silverwave/testing8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: New PPA Firefox Beta - Precise

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    Firefox Beta - Precise
    PPA description

The latest firefox Beta - No other packages.
    Copied from firefox-next, Ubuntu Security Proposed & Ubuntu Mozilla Security.
    Warning! I am impatient and I copy packages before they have been fully tested.
    I even copy packages when status reads "Publishing has been disabled for this archive".
    I can do this in good conscience as these ppa's are for my personal use, although I have no problem with others using them.
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:silverwave/testing8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install firefox

Changes for the versions:
    Installed version: 11.0+build1-0ubuntu1
    Available version: 12.0~b1+build2-0ubuntu0.12.04.1~mfn2
    So far so good

My Tree Style Tabs look a little fat but I can live with that...

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Compatible by Default and the Add-ons Compatibility Reporter

Compatible by Default and the Add-ons Compatibility Reporter

In short, the ACR settings that make add-ons compatible are themsleves not compatible with Compatible By Default in Firefox. So these settings have been disabled in ACR, and the extension acts now only as a reporting tool. To put it another way, ACR no longer makes old add-ons work, deferring completely this task to Firefox. Compatible By Default does not enable all extensions. The types not enabled include the following:

1. Add-ons marked to work with a Firefox version less than 4.0
    2. Add-ons with binary components
    3. Add-ons explicitly marked by the author as incompatible, i.e. opt-out of Compatible By Default
    4. Add-ons tested and determined to not be compatible with a given version of Firefox, and marked as incompatible by Mozilla
    5. Themes

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Solving Firefox’s add-on compatibility problem

Solving Firefox’s add-on compatibility problem "I want to upgrade Firefox, but my add-ons won't be compatible."
    "I want to upgrade Firefox, but my add-ons won't be compatible."
    This makes me sad. And it's a problem that's been magnified by the switch to rapid release. One of the strengths of Firefox is it's rich selection of add-ons. In fact, 85% of Firefox users have chosen to install an add-on. On average, those users have 5 add-ons installed. Firefox users really love their add-ons. So it's not surprising that they get frustrated when one of their favorite add-ons gets disabled because it's not marked as being compatible with the new Firefox update they just installed.
    So I started working on a project to fix it. The end result will be that most add-ons will automatically be compatible with Firefox, starting with (hopefully) Firefox 10.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Add-on Compatibility Reporter 1.1 by Mozilla

Add-on Compatibility Reporter 1.1 by Mozilla
    Update to ACR: Due to "Default To Compatible" changes in Firefox 10+, the ACR's functionality has changed. It can no longer be used for force add-ons to be installed. Read more about the changes.
    Have to agree with the review below:

From useful to useless in one single update... Rated 1 out of 5 stars

by Scorzonera on March 11, 2012 · permalink
    "The ACR's functionality has changed. It can no longer be used for force add-ons to be installed."

Wouldn't be such a problem if this did it's job:
    ""Default To Compatible" changes in Firefox 10+"

I don't mind reporting add-on's that work/don't work anymore, but if add-on's clearly work but cannot be activated by the built in 'Default To Compatible' feature, than users are left with quite a useless reporting tool with this add-on.

I understand the developer's reasons for this decision, I also understand that as a user I have nothing to gain with it. So, as a user I'll give two stars for trying to get an active community involvement, minus three stars for it's more than useless implementation because reporting working add-on's isn't visible in an actual working add-on as end result. Leaving that same community empty handed.

And again: Useful workarounds come from the community itself, developers have placed themselves outside that same community. That means I'll have to give this add-on a one star rating.
    Last edited by SilverWave; March 17th, 2012 at 09:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Add-on Compatibility - a case in point: Tab Utilities 1.1.3

hmmm Tab Utilities 1.1.3, some of the compatibilities reports say it is OK....

But how do I test it if its marked non-compatible?

Add-on Compatibility Reporter no longer allows the user to force compatibility.

Oh. Dear. Me.

This sound just like the bad old days
    Last edited by SilverWave; March 17th, 2012 at 09:09 AM.

Page 70 of 72 FirstFirst ... 20606869707172 LastLast