Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Arrow Compatibility and FF4.0b9

Quote Originally Posted by libssd View Post
    ...Unfortunately 4.09b breaks Adblock Plus 3.1.2, Better Privacy 1.48.3, and Blacksheep 1.5. The perils of a beta release.
    All the big hitters are starting to be be updated as compatible... Adblock Plus is now OK.

This should help with the rest:

Add-on Compatibility Reporter 0.7

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Compatibility and FF4.0b9

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    All the big hitters are starting to be be updated as compatible... Adblock Plus is now OK.
    Updating extensions already compatible with b8pre at this point (feature freeze) is just a matter of visiting the developer hub and changing the compatibility of the extension to the new version available in mozilla-central, in this case b9pre. However, Mozilla needs to add that version to the list, so we developers can apply the update. They only did that a couple of hours ago, so some extensions are still showing as compatible with b8pre. I just updated my extensions, but they still show as b8pre compatible because of the site cache. So you can expect that most popular extensions will be compatible later today.

That solves the problem for all extensions that are already compatible with beta 7. Be careful tho, with extensions that are only compatible with Firefox 3.6, because they can break things really bad, since Firefox 4 has major changes in the extension API. Launch the "Error Console" (CTRL+SHIFT+J) to check if any extension produces errors.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; December 15th, 2010 at 10:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Surviving the Statusbar/Add-on Bar Changes - Barlesque and Link Target Display

If you are using FF4.0b9 the changes to the statusbar can be a wrench...

After a lot of research I recommend these add-ons:

• Barlesque 1.14
      • Collapses the wide grey add-on bar into a neat set of add-on buttons.
      • Can minimise to only an arrow until needed.

(Note: Barlesque is very new and so it could be regarded as possibly a little more risky than the others).

• Link Target Display 1.7
      • Bottom Left alternative to it being jammed into the right of the Locationbar, only shows when needed.

• Oh and I use Locationbar² 1.0.5
      • This turns off the Link in the Locationbar and puts emphasis on the domain to reduce spoofing risk.

Observations

I do agree with the the creation of an Add-on Bar, but it is too big as it stands.
    Luckily I can use Barlesque to makes it perfect.

I cannot say I agree with the Link Target being jammed into the right of the Locationbar.
    Again thanks to an Add-on we can avoid this problem until the devs correct it or change the implementation.
    [update] WHOOT! Sanity has prevailed! The Devs have dumped this brain-dead idea.
    Bug 541656 - Display hyperlink URLs at bottom of window (instead of right side of location bar)
    Last edited by SilverWave; February 13th, 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Updated with Bug 541656

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Surviving the Statusbar/Add-on Bar Changes - Barlesque and Link Target Display

If you are using FF4.0b9 the changes to the statusbar can be a wrench...

After a lot of research I recommend these add-ons:

[LIST][*]Barlesque 1.14
    • Collapses the wide grey add-on bar into a neat set of add-on buttons.
    • Can minimise to only an arrow until needed.
    Awesome.

I also recommend Status-4-Evar. Don't how it would behave with Barlesque tho.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Changes to how Places stores data incoming... is this not a little late in the day?

Sometime soon after the beta 8 code freeze, the Places team will be merging the Places branch into mozilla-central. There are a lot of changes we’ve been working on, the most important of which is some major re-architecting how we store data
    http://shawnwilsher.com/archives/473

This just struck me as being a big change rather late in the day...

Under the hood speed-ups so maybe that explains it.

I suppose we are still in beta and this would not be a GUI change... so interesting.
    Last edited by SilverWave; December 16th, 2010 at 11:51 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Arrow In support of Firefox 4.0 and Mozilla.

Someone asked me if Firefox was still relevant and my take on the Firefox 4.0 changes... here is my response:

Firefox is an amazing browser but it was in danger of being eclipsed by chrome. I am particularly impressed by the way Mozilla have not shrank from taking the hard choices that were needed to meet this challenge.

1. A large part of Firefox's success is because of it extensions but the old system was causing some drag and would be an increasing burden in the future... so they have created a new architecture "JetPack" that will solve this. It addresses the main problem of extensions needing updating after each new Firefox version by providing a separate api and a new way of assigning permissions that looks to be very scalable.

2. Firefox Sync. This is the killer app atm for Firefox and enormously extends its relevance and usefulness working hand-in-hand with Firefox Mobile.

3. Firefox Mobile, basing it on 4.0 code and running it as a native application under Android is a master stroke and will pay huge dividends in the future. An incredibly ballsy move, bravo Mozilla.

4. Speed audits and rewrites of bottlenecks in the code. Some of this is yet to land IIRC e.g. the Places storage code.

5. HTML 5 support.

So yes Chrome was a disruptive change but Mozilla have used it a driver for renewing Firefox's direction and rearchitecturing the fundamentals that it is based on.

They will not reap all the rewards immediately, JetPack for instance is a more long term play, but Mozilla are punching well above their weight and serving their users and the open web well.
    Last edited by SilverWave; December 18th, 2010 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typo

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Firefox Plugins Memory Consumption

Well this is interesting...

Visualizing Firefox Plugins
    Presently, if you run Firefox you can go to the Plugin Check page to see if your plugins are up to date. We thought: Wouldn't it be great if that page ALSO showed you memory consumption rates? Maybe something like this (note the Memory Consumption column, it doesn't exist on the real webpage [...] Please understand (and we are quite proud of this). All of the data in this mockup is real. Memory consumptions are estimates we derived by analyzing the Test Pilot data.
    So I already disable Java... do I use DivX? hmmm...

Last edited by SilverWave; December 18th, 2010 at 08:42 AM.

Beans

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Well stated summary of "Why Firefox". Chrome (among other things) seems to have shaken up the Firefox developers in a positive way. I had more or less consigned Firefox 3+ to irrelevancy, except for the few extensions it ran that had unique functionality. Now, I'm back as a regular user

Beans
    Distro

Arrow One Daily A Week PPA's Updated with latest Firefox 4.0b9pre

As I was getting toolbar issues* on upgrating my previous profile from FF4.0b7 to FF4.0b8, I have pulled in a later daily build... 4.0~b9~hg20101218r59459, which does not display this issue.

*The toolbar was being reset to the default.

Changes for the versions:
    4.0~b9~hg20101215r59188+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid
    4.0~b9~hg20101218r59459+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid

While I was on I updated FF3.6 as well.

3.6.14~hg20101214r34821+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid
    3.6.14~hg20101218r34829+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid

Beans
    Distro

Arrow One Daily A Month PPA's Updated with latest Firefox 4.0b9pre

As I was getting toolbar issues* on upgrating my previous profile from FF4.0b7 to FF4.0b8, I have pulled in a later daily build... 4.0~b9~hg20101218r59459, which does not display this issue.

*The toolbar was being reset to the default.

4.0~b9~hg20101215r59188+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid
    4.0~b9~hg20101218r59459+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid

While I was on I updated FF3.6 as well.

3.6.14~hg20101214r34821+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid
    3.6.14~hg20101218r34829+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1~lucid
    As there was an issue with the previous daily I have updated the Monthly PPA's as well.
    Last edited by SilverWave; December 18th, 2010 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo

Page 29 of 72 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast