Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Arrow Install The Newest Firefox 4.0b2 - Tested & Working.

Firefox-4.0 - One Daily A Month #1 - Lucid
    SilverWaveFirefox-4.0 - One Daily A Month #1 - ...

PPA description
    The latest firefox without the update hassle.
    One daily a month from ubuntu-mozilla-daily.
    Firefox-4.0 - One Daily A Month #1 - Lucid
    One update a month.
    Firefox and xulrunner only.
    Tested in a virtual machine.
    Firefox-4.0 - One Daily A Month #3 - Karmic
    SilverWaveFirefox-4.0 - One Daily A Month #3 - ...

PPA description
    The latest firefox without the update hassle.
    One daily a month from ubuntu-mozilla-daily.
    Firefox-4.0 - One Daily A Month #3 - Karmic
    One update a month.
    Firefox and xulrunner only.

Based on:

4.0~b2~hg20100712r47317+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd2
    2.0~b2~hg20100712r47317+nobinonly-0ubuntu1~umd1

Enjoy!
    Last edited by SilverWave; July 13th, 2010 at 10:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

I have 3.6.8pre.
    Last edited by Chame_Wizard; July 14th, 2010 at 11:05 AM.
    Registered Linux user,number 507113.02-01-2013: ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO 785G |Athlon 2 X4 640|4 GiB DDR|1 TiB SATA2|Radeon HD 6570(HDMI)|Realtek 7.1 HDMI audio|Gigabit Lan|Kubuntu 12.10 Quanzal AMD64

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Quote Originally Posted by Chame_Wizard View Post
    I have 3.6.8pre.
    So have I

Its very good!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Hi SilverWave,

Since there is already users trying Firefox 4 Beta and you are distributing it, I thought would by wise to leave a warning for add-ons users.

Firefox 4 introduced some radical changes in the add-ons manager, as you can see from the new manager design. These changes will probably break several add-ons, even if you don't think they are broken.

Usually when Firefox releases a new major version, we can override the extension compatibility check to force extensions to work. In this particular case, some extensions might appear to be working, but they could have issues with updates.

The problem is that whenever such extensions update, they grab the version number from the extension manager, in order to determine if they need to perform changes in associated databases, extension settings and profiles. Since the add-on manager has changed drastically, they won't be able to update properly. They will appear to be working, but won't be able to update some files and perform some functions dependent on extension version.

So if you are using Firefox 4, I would recommend using a separate profile, until all your extensions are updated to work with it.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Hi SilverWave,
    [...] if you are using Firefox 4, I would recommend using a separate profile, until all your extensions are updated to work with it.
    If you use the PPA's I have set up (ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-1 and ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-3) then this is the default behaviour.

e.g.

The 4.0 profile is saved in:

/home/sil/.mozilla/firefox-4.0

The 3.6.8 profile is saved in:

/home/sil/.mozilla/firefox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    If you use the PPA's I have set up (ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-1 and ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-3) then this is the default behaviour.

e.g.

The 4.0 profile is saved in:

/home/sil/.mozilla/firefox-4.0

The 3.6.8 profile is saved in:

/home/sil/.mozilla/firefox
    Cool. Nice job.

Beans

It would be much more useful if this PPA, instead of taking a random daily snapshot once a month, actually took the tested, official releases from Mozilla... FF4b1 for now, and b2 as soon as Mozilla releases it. The way it is now is completely pointless--I can do the same thing extremely easily by randomly picking a day to update from mozilla-daily. And where is firefox-4.0-gnome-support?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by hackel View Post
    It would be much more useful if this PPA, instead of taking a random daily snapshot once a month,
    Well... there is no guarantee that any particular daily from UMD will actually work. So using my PPA's you at least know that it has had basic testing.

So my "value added" to the process is:

Firefox has its own PPA so nothing else gets updated.
    You don’t get swamped with updates.
    You do get the latest Firefox each month.

Lucid 64bit gets more testing as I actually use that package day-to-day.

...actually took the tested, official releases from Mozilla... FF4b1 for now, and b2 as soon as Mozilla releases it.
    Well that would be a huge amount of work and very challenging technically, to ensure a stable integrated package for Lucid and Karmic.

I am rather "Standing On the Shoulders of Giants", and basing my ppa's on the fantastic work of the Ubuntu Mozilla Daily Build Team (I actually do a copy of the relevant daily packages).

Of course if you were to produce such a ppa that would be great.
    I would encourage you post your ppa details here once you have completed it.

The way it is now is completely pointless--I can do the same thing extremely easily by randomly picking a day to update from mozilla-daily. And where is firefox-4.0-gnome-support?
    Some observations on your post:

Please moderate your tone and be polite, I actually do this in my spare time and don't work for you.

I think I have answered your points above and disagree

Cheers.
    Last edited by SilverWave; July 15th, 2010 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Typos

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Cool. Nice job.
    heh cant take the credit as that's what is set by the packager.

I copy and test and add convenience.

I am rather "Standing On the Shoulders of Giants", and basing my ppa's on the fantastic work of the Ubuntu Mozilla Daily Build Team (I actually do a copy of the relevant daily packages).

But this is "A Good Thing" as you can confirm that I haven't tampered with the packages and as long as you trust the "Ubuntu Mozilla Daily Build Team" you are good to go

Beans
    Distro

Q: PPA Builds Very Slow(10hours)?
    A: "Someone is doing a rebuild of all Python packages in Maverick, we have to wait until it's finished I'm afraid."

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast