Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Quote Originally Posted by teohhanhui View Post
    It's rather unfortunate that there are no ppa's for alpha/beta releases. I'm not willing to put up with the frequent updates and possible problems of daily builds, but stable releases are at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Sometimes beta releases add features that are highly sought after without sacrificing much stability. Case in point: OOPP in 3.6.4 beta.
    Yes there is a little lull in the building of dailies atm I would imagine that will be related to the release of Lucid

But on your point - I agree and that is why I have created the one-daily-a-month line of ppa's.

I have not had one "problem" daily from umd and have been using them for over a year iirc.

My main issue is that for my purposes, 31 updates a month is overkill. So my proposed schedule is 1 a month.

Also having lots of different packages in the same ppa is also problematic so the 4 one-daily-a-month ppa's will each only have one firefox package in each.
    e.g.
    ODAM0 (Firefox-3.6 *Lucid) ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-0
    ODAM1 (Firefox-3.7 *Lucid) ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-1
    ODAM2 (Firefox-3.6 Karmic) ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-2
    ODAM3 (Firefox-3.7 Karmic) ppa:silverwave/one-daily-a-month-3

Although I make no guarantees, the plan is to at least test each in a vm.
    Last edited by SilverWave; May 1st, 2010 at 12:27 PM.

Beans

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWave View Post
    Yes there is a little lull in the building of dailies atm I would imagine that will be related to the release of Lucid

But on your point - I agree and that is why I have created the one-daily-a-month line of ppa's.

I have not had one "problem" daily from umd and have been using them for over a year iirc.

My main issue is that for my purposes, 31 updates a month is overkill. So my proposed schedule is 1 a month.

Also having lots of different packages in the same ppa is also problematic so the 4 one-daily-a-month ppa's will each only have one firefox package in each.
    e.g.
    ODAM0 firefox-3.6 *Lucid
    ODAM1 firefox-3.7 *Lucid
    ODAM2 firefox-3.6 Karmic
    ODAM3 firefox-3.7 Karmic

Although I make no guarantees, the plan is to at least test each in a vm.
    Unlike the daily builds you pick which may or may not be significant, beta builds such as 3.6.4 promise a more meaningful rollup of fixes/features/enhancements while maintaining compatibility. And aren't beta tests meant to reach out to a wider audience, many of whom may not be comfortable with the idea/willing to deal with the hassles of running nightlies? I would argue that in this case it's actually in Mozilla's and its users' best interests for there to be a PPA for beta builds.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

Unlike the daily builds you pick which may or may not be significant, beta builds such as 3.6.4 promise a more meaningful rollup of fixes/features/enhancements while maintaining compatibility. And aren't beta tests meant to reach out to a wider audience, many of whom may not be comfortable with the idea/willing to deal with the hassles of running nightlies? I would argue that in this case it's actually in Mozilla's and its users' best interests for there to be a PPA for beta builds.
    You have a valid point, I wonder what the reason could be that this has not already been implemented...

The first that comes to mind is number of users, 12 million, is for Mozilla, pretty small beer I would imagine.

Particularly when you consider what smaller percentage would want to install the beta, if it was say 1% that's only 120,000 users.

The dailies are in my experience, a pleasant surprise tbh, as I say I have not had an issue and what's the worst that can happen?

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to install the stable FF, if there was a problem, and use that for a day or two.

I do take a copy of my ff profile just to be safe, but that's about it.
    Last edited by SilverWave; April 30th, 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Beans

Re: Install The Newest Firefox ppa with command "add-apt-repository" (9.10 & above)

To run a script "icecream.sh" can it be written as "/bin/bas icecream.bash"?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sandiep View Post
    To run a script "icecream.sh" can it be written as "/bin/bas icecream.bash"?
    If I understand your question correctly, no.

Using the terminal, you could cd to the directory containing the script then issue the following command:

Code:
    ./my-script.sh
    Note the script will need to be executable:

Code:
    chmod +x my-script.sh
    Also if its a bash script the first line in the script needs to read:

Code:
    #!/bin/bash

Beans

For anyone looking for Firefox 3.6.4 beta: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozill.../+archive/ppa/

Beans
    Distro

For anyone looking for Firefox 3.6.4 beta: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa/
    Nice

Interesting, usually they put a package there for testing before making it the next official release...

Have you a link to the information indicating that this is a beta?

Its marked as 0.10.04.2... hmmm

firefox (3.6.4+build1+nobinonly-0ubuntu0.10.04.2) lucid-security; urgency=low

* New upstream release v3.6.4 (FIREFOX_3_6_4_BUILD1)
    - see USN-930-1
    - fix LP: #469752 - KDE/Gnome startup notification not disappearing
    when app window is up

[ Micah Gersten <email address hidden> ]
    * Rebase patch after upstream landing of Lorentz branch
    - update debian/patches/bz460917_att350845_reload_new_plugins.patch
    * Drop patch after upstream landing of (bmo: 544481) aka
    Build fails on Ubuntu Lucid Lynx using 'dash' shell
    - drop debian/patches/fix-build-glitch.patch
    - update debian/patches/series

[ Chris Coulson <email address hidden> ]
    * Fix LP: #513887 - Install the plugin-container binary for OOPP support
    - update debian/firefox.install
    -- Chris Coulson <email address hidden> Sat, 17 Apr 2010 01:16:08 +0100
    I have just installed Lucid RTM today and have:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux x86_64; en-US; rv:1.9.2.3) Gecko/20100423 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.3 - Build ID: 20100423141150
    Last edited by SilverWave; May 1st, 2010 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow 3.6.4 Final release: May 13 (afternoon PST)

For anyone looking for Firefox 3.6.4 beta: https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-mozilla-security/+archive/ppa/
    Current Schedule

As always, these dates may move if there are problems with builds, showstopper bugs discovered in beta testing, or an urgent security release required.

• Code freeze: April 27, 11:59pm
    • Build 2 is generated: April 30
    • Build 2 is avaliable: May 3 (morning PST)
    • Build 2 is offered as an automatic update to users of Build 1: May 3 (afternoon PST)
    • QA begins testing: May 3
    • Build 2 offered as minor update to remaining 3.6.x beta channel: May 5
    • Final release: May 13 (afternoon PST)

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Releases/Firefox_3.6.4

Beans

I installed the 3.7 one-daily-a-month build ppa but it won't upgrade me from 3.6.5 (from the firefox daily ppa), says i have the current version. Does 3.7 exist anymore? I read on the firefox 4 slideshow that they won't be releasing it, so is it gone now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by onecallednick View Post
    I installed the 3.7 one-daily-a-month build ppa but it won't upgrade me from 3.6.5 (from the firefox daily ppa), says i have the current version. Does 3.7 exist anymore? I read on the firefox 4 slideshow that they won't be releasing it, so is it gone now?
    It is still being build on electrolysis repository.

Page 10 of 72 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast