Thread: how do I import single photo with fpot?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

how do I import single photo with fspot?

Hello,

I have a netbook running UNR 9.10 and I want to import a 10-20 photos from my digital camera that has 700+ photos. I am finding that fspot doesn't have the feature that will allow me to manually select a few photos after clicking on the the "Import" button in fspot. The only thing I am able to do with fspot is import all 700+ photos.

The thought of importing all of the photos and then manually deleting 600+ photos isn't too appealing.

Because I am using UNR, dragging and dropping between application windows (nautilis and fpot) doesn't appear to be a workable option.

Manually copying select photos into a temporary folder in the /home/username directory and then importing them into fspot seems inefficient.

I am looking for the simplest way to manually select a few photos from a memory card and import them into spot.

Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by ahood; December 12th, 2009 at 01:17 PM.
    Long time ubuntu family user. Current Desktop System: AMD, 16Gb RAM, 1.2 TB Storage, Xubuntu 18.04, AMD Ryzen 1600, AMD RX 580 8 Gb. Current Laptop System: Lenovo x220 with Bodhi Linux. Current HTPC System: LinHES

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: how do I import single photo with fpot?

Ctrl-click will select a file in addition to the files which were selected previously.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    Ctrl-click will select a file in addition to the files which were selected previously.
    Thanks for suggestion. Sometimes the most simplest is the answer.

Unfortunately, the above suggestion isn't the solution. F-Spot insists on importing all photos even after ctrl+clicking.

I have determined the following.

(1) The problem occurs when placing a SD Card in the media slot of the machine.

(2) Fspot might allow importing of a few photos after ctrl+clicking when the SD card is in the camera and the camera is connected to the machine via usb.

Unfortunately, fspot displays an I/O error when it tries to import from the camera connected via USB. This problem is reported for many other cameras.
    Long time ubuntu family user. Current Desktop System: AMD, 16Gb RAM, 1.2 TB Storage, Xubuntu 18.04, AMD Ryzen 1600, AMD RX 580 8 Gb. Current Laptop System: Lenovo x220 with Bodhi Linux. Current HTPC System: LinHES

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That's interesting. Over the months, I've connected three cameras to three computers, using three versions of Ubuntu. Never had a problem such as you described.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by gordintoronto View Post
    That's interesting. Over the months, I've connected three cameras to three computers, using three versions of Ubuntu. Never had a problem such as you described.
    Thanks for replying.

There are several posts in Launchpad bug system reporting similar disfunctionality with the F-Spot import tool.

I contributed and reported the error to Bug #258083.

A more recent bug with similar error message is reported in Launchpad Bug #191316.

This issue with F-Spot is also reported for other Linux distributions.

F-Spot "Could not lock decive error in GNOME

Bug 485037 - f-spot-import fails with error dialogue: Error connecting to camera; Received error "Could not lock the device" while connecting to camera

I am giving up on F-Spot. This bug is a show stopper for me.

Thanks again.

Beans

Part of the problem for me is that F-Spot starts to import the photos
    before I have the chance to choose between them, just to show thumbnails.

If I have a folder with 700 photos and I just want to import 5 of them, I have to wait 5 minutes for the loading to be complete.

This is horrible from my point of view (and I have the impression that Picassa does the same thing).

I don't understand why importing folders had become the standard procedure, I don't like this kind of restrictive decision, particularly when considering that this is a photo organizer, that is, a software to organize one of the most personal records.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

FYI -

I proposed importing of a single/few photos F-Spot be addressed in Ubuntu Brainstorm. If you think importing of a single/few photos into F-Spot can be improved, please click on the link below and consider voting for the proposed solution or suggest an even better solution.

Quickly add a single photo to F-Spot catalog and Photos Folde

With kind regards,