Thread: apt-get install questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

apt-get install questions

1. I was trying to install a .deb package last night that had some dependency problems. When I tried to install it again I was suggested to run

Code:
    apt-get -f install
    I have looked in the man pages and there is no mention of the -f parameter. What does it do?

2. When I ran

Code:
    apt-get -f install
    it also compiled a list of packages that 'were installed, but not being used' and suggested I run,

Code:
    apt-get autoremove
    but some of the packages in that list I was definitely still using. Why was this suggested?
    Asus
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB DDR2
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Atheros AR928X Wireless

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: apt-get install questions

Quote Originally Posted by prem1er View Post
    1. I was trying to install a .deb package last night that had some dependency problems. When I tried to install it again I was suggested to run

Code:
    apt-get -f install
    I have looked in the man pages and there is no mention of the -f parameter. What does it do?
    Seems you haven't looked well enough.

Code:
           -f, --fix-broken
               Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place. This option, when used with
               install/remove, can omit any packages to permit APT to deduce a likely solution. Any Package that are
               specified must completely correct the problem. The option is sometimes necessary when running APT for the
               first time; APT itself does not allow broken package dependencies to exist on a system. It is possible
               that a system´s dependency structure can be so corrupt as to require manual intervention (which usually
               means using dselect(8) or dpkg --remove to eliminate some of the offending packages). Use of this option
               together with -m may produce an error in some situations. Configuration Item: APT::Get::Fix-Broken.
    Quote Originally Posted by prem1er View Post
    2. When I ran

Code:
    apt-get -f install
    it also compiled a list of packages that 'were installed, but not being used' and suggested I run,

Code:
    apt-get autoremove
    but some of the packages in that list I was definitely still using. Why was this suggested?
    Run

Code:
    sudo apt-get install package
    on every listed package that you need. This will tell Apt those packages were really installed by you (as opposed to being pulled as dependencies for another package), and it won't mark them as 'not being used' anymore.

This happens when you have package B installed as a dependency for package A, and package A is either uninstalled later, or doesn't need package B anymore. Apt will tell you that package B is not being used, and will suggest I uninstall it.
    Last edited by Bachstelze; December 11th, 2009 at 04:46 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: apt-get install questions

Thank you for the explanation. I was an idiot and looking at the man pages for install instead of apt-get, that is why I couldn't find it. Thanks again!
    Asus
    Intel Core 2 Duo 2.26 GHz - 4GB DDR2
    1 GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650
    Atheros AR928X Wireless