Thread: Any Laptop with Backlit Keyboard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Any Laptop with Backlit Keyboard

Looking at purchasing a new laptop. Trying to find something with a backlit keyboard that has ubuntu supported hardware. Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Any Laptop with Backlit Keyboard

i dont know about the ubuntu support, but i know some of the dell XPS's have backlit boards on 'em.

i cant remember 100% but im pretty sure that it's hardware controlled and not reliant on software to turn the light on/off.
    also, weather or not it's worth noting, some of the XPS's have built-in LCD panels - they appear to be standard panels that can be controlled from any 'generic' LCD driver program (lcdproc is one that comes to mind)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I used to have a thinkpad (possibly a T60) which had a small LED at the top of the screen which illuminated the keyboard, not quite what you were looking at but thought I'd mention it.

Only had XP on it and whether the light would work properly with ubuntu is another kettle of fish (it was switched on and off via a function key)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by trundlenut View Post
    I used to have a thinkpad (possibly a T60) which had a small LED at the top of the screen which illuminated the keyboard, not quite what you were looking at but thought I'd mention it.

Only had XP on it and whether the light would work properly with ubuntu is another kettle of fish (it was switched on and off via a function key)
    I have a Thinkpad W500 and it also had the LED light. I *really* wanted a backlit keyboard originally, but having seen some since then, they're not as desirable as I thought. Kinda spastic and also you can't really SEE where you're typing b/c your hands cover up the lights! The top LED has its benefits, too... like being able to read printed text using it, for example.

If you STILL want a backlit keyboard, I found that the Dell Studios look great. The Macbooks look terrible. Just my opinion.

Oh, and my Thinkpad LED has worked fine with the function keys in Ubuntu from Hardy through Karmic. Dang, ALL my function keys work... out of the box. The W500 is built like a tank (and kinda looks like one) but the Ubuntu support is killer.

Good luck.