Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Re: Option iCON 515m wireless USB modem (Orange)

Beans

Re: Option iCON 515m wireless USB modem (Orange)

Thanks for your interest in this.
    I have attached the hsoconnect log below for both an unsuccessful and a successful attempt to browse the web or open my email. Email (thunderbird) reports "failed to connect to [name of account]" of which I have a few.
    my web browser (firefox) reports "server not found"

Either way hsoconnect reports much the same. There is an additional problem inasmuch as when hsoconnect has been used my pc often refuses to shutdowwn and has to be sitched off. Ozeroffcd is working fine. Problem seems to be hsoconnect related. Or I guess it couldbe some kind of driver problem. 30% of time I can connect 70% of time I can't and I have to reboot because once hsoconnect hits a problem if I close it it will not restart.
    log attached

Any ideas?

Successful attempt

<<_OWANCALL: 1,2>>
    <<_OWANCALL: 1,1>>
    Sending ->AT_OWANDATA=1<<AT_OWANDATA=1>>
    <<_OWANDATA: 1, 89.195.30.152, 0.0.0.0, 193.36.79.100, 193.36.79.101, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 72000>>

======connected======
    <<OK>>
    <<_OWANDATA: 1, 89.195.30.152, 0.0.0.0, 193.36.79.100, 193.36.79.101, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 72000>>
    <<OK>>
    Sending ->AT_OHCIP<<AT_OHCIP>>
    <<_OHCIP: 0>>
    <<OK>><<_OSIGQ: 4,0>>

Unsuccessful attempt

<<_OSIGQ: 4,0>>
    <<_OWANDATA: 1, 89.195.73.251, 0.0.0.0, 193.36.79.100, 193.36.79.101, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 72000>>

======connected======
    <<OK>>
    <<_OWANDATA: 1, 89.195.73.251, 0.0.0.0, 193.36.79.100, 193.36.79.101, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 72000>>
    <<OK>>
    Sending ->AT_OHCIP<<AT_OHCIP>>
    <<_OHCIP: 0>>
    <<OK>>

Beans
    Hidden!

hi

from the terminal can you post the output of this code : after you have made the connection

Code:

egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options

thanks in advance
    Two tin cans are better than an iphone

http://www.ehow.co.uk/how_2067160_ma...hone.html?cr=1

Beans

The mystery deepens.

egrep -v '#|^ *$' /etc/ppp/options unfortunately doesn't highlight any kind of difference.
    For the sake of completeness here they are:

dongle connection that works

asyncmap 0
    noauth
    crtscts
    lock
    hide-password
    modem
    proxyarp
    lcp-echo-interval 30
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    noipx

dongle connection which doesn't work

asyncmap 0
    noauth
    crtscts
    lock
    hide-password
    modem
    proxyarp
    lcp-echo-interval 30
    lcp-echo-failure 4
    noipx

what I have also noticed is that clicking "disconnect" button often doesn't write anything at all to the diagnostic log on hsoconnect. I guess this means that it's not actually disconnecting.
    I have come up with a sort of a "work around" for this which allows me to disconnect and try reconnecting. I have set up two identical profiles so that rather than try to disconnect I can switch between them. This does cause it to disconnect and reconnect on the other profile. If I get very lucky I get connection which actually works but how much of my dongle usage is being wasted and not clocked I have no idea

Beans

Some progress has been made! At least I believe so.

It's too early for me say for definite that all is well but it seems to be behaving very nicely on two machines.

With a bit of further research I found this page regarding problems on a quicksilver dongle.
    https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu...question/91686

Although this relates to a different dongle and a different problem there did seem to be some similarities and there was mention of something called resolveconf.
    Consequently I tried this
    sudo apt-get install resolvconf

The result was an immediate improvement. The HSOConnect program will shutdown and start up again and when I click disconnect it reports a disconnect in its log.
    So far (fingers crossed) Everytime that I have tried to connect using the icon 515m it has been successful.

Laptop is now shutting down successfully after use too.

I'll update this in a couple of days when I'm absolutely sure that the problem is resolved. Many thanks for the assistance so far and also thanks everyone who takes the time and trouble to write these utilities.

Beans

Dongle is now connecting every time. No more unpredictability.

sudo apt-get install resolvconf has made a world of difference.
    so I would advise anyone else who tries to get this dongle going to consider installing resolvconf once all the other steps have been worked through.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cylinderz View Post
    Dongle is now connecting every time. No more unpredictability.

sudo apt-get install resolvconf has made a world of difference.
    so I would advise anyone else who tries to get this dongle going to consider installing resolvconf once all the other steps have been worked through.

Hi

This program may want to remove the Gnome ppp ; Therefore reducing options for connections

try editing the /etc/resolv.conf file first

How to :Modify new name server address(NS1/NS2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Hi All,

The Icon 5x5 range had some problems with the standard hso driver shipping with current Ubuntu versions. HSO version 1.14 posted on my site is the best way to go.

The official Option 1.14 driver is not compatible with Ubuntu 9.10 yet so I have backported the 2.6.33 hso driver to 2.6.31 (used in 9.10). This works fine for me and is temporary as I expect Option to release an official driver for 9.10 soon.

FYI - if you are using HSOconnect or NetworkManager to connect to the Internet then PPP is not used so PPPD options dont apply. The Icon range of devices provide an Ethernet like interface. You can use PPP if you prefer (on some devices at least), just have a look at the README shipping with the HSO driver for details.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Last edited by Pharscape; March 15th, 2010 at 11:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Any experience with 10.04 with this modem yet?

I use an O2 dongle, that works flawlessly, but like the £5 / month offer Orange have for mobile phone customers.

But I need to ensure the modem will work before investing.

Beans

can you not negotiate a "try before you buy" deal with them: valuable for others to learn; I see pharscape from ozerocdoff is now registered as forum member; valuable backup there ..

as you are ubuntu forum staff?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    Any experience with 10.04 with this modem yet?

I use an O2 dongle, that works flawlessly, but like the £5 / month offer Orange have for mobile phone customers.

But I need to ensure the modem will work before investing.
    Hi

the only comment I could make is that to follow advice given by PDC,

The Main difference of the OPTION device, is the " AT_OWANCALL" , use with reference to post #11

Command: AT_OWANDATA=<pdp context>
    Response: _OWANDATA: <pdp context>, <ip address>, <route?>, <nameserver 1>, <nameserver 2>, <unknown>, <unknown>, <speed>
    Description: Retrieve IP configuration from an established connection previously created with AT_OWANCALL
    Example:
    >AT_OWANDATA=1
    _OWANDATA: 1, 79.138.181.171, 0.0.0.0, 80.251.192.244, 80.251.192.245, 0.0.0.0, 0.0.0.0, 72000
    so if the device is recocognised as HSO then your best option {not a pun} is to use the hso drivers from Pharescape , this will will save you from having to make your own script.

The only area of which I don't agree on with the present HSO connect is the necessity to install third party software IE: the RESOLVECONF .If you have to rely on gnomepp or wvdial then the Resolvconf will want to remove these,so this is an area of conflict ,see below

As you are using o2 for your connection there could be an area of conflict not only associated with 10.04 but may also apply other versions of Ubuntu ,

In some instances Depending on the make or version of the device, there maybe more than one control line , if for any reason the Modem-Manager is returning the wrong enumeration for the device, then as a workaround users have to resort to other means of dial up.IE gnomeppp

From the above you may be faced with having to make a choice.

One possible workaround would be to install Sakis3g , but as yet untested
    details can be found here ; post #10

How To : Mobile Broadband Connections [ Ubuntu 10.04 : 9.10 : 9.04 ]

regards

alexfish
    Last edited by alexfish; May 31st, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast