Thread: I wish i knew more about networking...

Beans

I wish i knew more about networking...

Hi all,
    I'm working on running steam and TF2 through wine and everything is going well except that steam won't connect to my network at my apartment, and therefore can't update and start.
    I can logon just fine using the network on campus. I'm a true newbie when it comes to routers and networking so anyone have any ideas on why this would be happening/what i can to about it. Other programs like firstclass email client, and transmission also can't connect from home but can at school...

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: I wish i knew more about networking...

Well it's pretty clear that the problem doesn't have to do with WINE or the applications you're trying to use, and more to do with the actual connection to the Internet.

What kind of network do you have at your home? Wireless? Did you configure it yourself or is it one of those pre-configured modem/router things you get from your ISP with the encryption password printed on the side? Are you able to connect with another computer in your home? Have you tried confirming that your home network is actually connected to the Internet by hooking an Ethernet cable to your modem and pinging a website (sometimes the modems lose their connection and need to be reset). What have you tried and what happens?

Beans

edit: Disregard that, i was wrong this sounds like you need to open the right ports on your router

Beans

I've tried forwarding the ports for all the programs I listed to no avail..i don't know if i was clear but i can connect to the internet and browse websites over the connection.
    Port forwarding not working is what has me really confused

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I have never had to do any port forwarding to use Steam.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe not so much forwarding ports as just having them open. My DSL modem has a firewall that does a better job than I need, sometimes...
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net