Thread: Installing Video Driver

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Unhappy Installing Video Driver

Ok so I am new to Ubuntu and Gnome and the whole terminal idea but I am learning... So here is my problem...

I am trying to install some Nvidia drivers in Ubuntu 9.10. Am I doing something wrong? This is my terminal

lee@Lee-Ubuntu:~$ cd /home/lee/Desktop
    lee@Lee-Ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo sh NVIDIA.run
    Verifying archive integrity... OK
    Uncompressing NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86 71.86.11.......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...............................

Then an error saying "You appear to be running an X server; please exit X before installing." appears...
    I tried pressing " ctrl alt F1" but the same error happened again. Any help would be nice

Beans

Re: Installing Video Driver

Installing nvidia drivers can be so twiddly that I usually take the cheater's way out and do it with Envy. It's in the repos:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install envyng-core envyng-gtk
    Then just run envyng from commandline and it'll prompt you through the process, telling you what drivers are available and which are recommended for your card.

The downside is that you have to remember to undo what Envy does, if you're going to do a version upgrade or change the drivers some other way someday.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

This link should cover what you need:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=990978

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

The drivers for my card are not on the list it gives me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You don't need to do any of that stuff.

Just go to System > Administration > Hardware Drivers and it will offer to install an Nvidia driver for you. The most appropriate one for your hardware.

If it doesn't offer this, then go into Synaptic Package Manager and hit the Reload button to load up the list of packages from the Ubuntu repositories.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I assume you have down loaded the drive for your card from NVIDIA,if so the method to install is the same as in the link.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I followed the instructions on their site but how do I exit X to install the drivers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lee2010 View Post
    I followed the instructions on their site but how do I exit X to install the drivers?
    Log out, press Control-Alt-F1, type:

Code:
    sudo killall gdm
    or

Code:
    sudo service gdm stop
    But I'm telling you, use the version in the Hardware Drivers program if you possibly can. It's better supported and will stay in sync with your kernel. If you install the driver from nvidia.com, you'll need to reinstall it every single time you upgrade your kernel.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.