Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    GMT-5
    Beans
    140
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    I have an 8GB system with Ubuntu 9.10. And a puzzle.

    Ok, 8GB is:
    8 589 934 592 bytes


    or


    8 388 608 kilobytes

    (Got these numbers from google). Now, cat /proc/meminfo:

    MemTotal: 8192556 kB
    MemFree: 6278812 kB
    Buffers: 38832 kB
    Cached: 849552 kB


    System monitor rounds it down to 7.8 GB

    These are not rounding errors, please. So between 200-400 MB is gone somewhere (and my video is 1GB nvidia).

    Any ideas? BIOS is giving me the right info, i.e. full 8GB.

    L.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    The general consensus which I learned is to go with the BIOS reporting of RAM.
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

    Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Beans
    9,689

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas666 View Post
    I have an 8GB system with Ubuntu 9.10. And a puzzle.

    Ok, 8GB is:
    8 589 934 592 bytes


    or


    8 388 608 kilobytes

    (Got these numbers from google). Now, cat /proc/meminfo:

    MemTotal: 8192556 kB
    MemFree: 6278812 kB
    Buffers: 38832 kB
    Cached: 849552 kB


    System monitor rounds it down to 7.8 GB

    These are not rounding errors, please. So between 200-400 MB is gone somewhere (and my video is 1GB nvidia).

    Any ideas? BIOS is giving me the right info, i.e. full 8GB.

    L.

    your system is reserving 2% for it's use? 8-0.16=7.84

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    GMT-5
    Beans
    140
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    your system is reserving 2% for it's use? 8-0.16=7.84
    How do you know that? You just calculated that? Where can I read more about this?

    Thanks,
    L.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Beans
    1,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    The amount of your ram is correct, and have not lost any. Manufacturers and operating systems use 2 different methods of reporting ram and hard drive sizes. It has been like that since PC's began. Manufacturers consider 1000mb=1gb. The OS sees 1024mb=1gb.

    I have 6gb of ram, but ubuntu sees it as 5.8

    It's the same on every computer in the world.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
    "The industry has coped with the dual definitions because system memory (RAM) typically uses the binary meaning while disk storage uses the SI meaning, but there are exceptions like diskettes and Compact Disks. The International System of Units defines no units for digital information but the SI prefixes may be applied outside the contexts where base units or derived units would be used."
    Last edited by HappyFeet; December 9th, 2009 at 04:29 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Beans
    1,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by kerry_s View Post
    your system is reserving 2% for it's use? 8-0.16=7.84
    Not true.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    GMT-5
    Beans
    140
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    The amount of your ram is correct, and have not lost any. Manufacturers and operating systems use 2 different methods of reporting ram and hard drive sizes. It has been like that since PC's began. Manufacturers consider 1000mb=1gb. The OS sees 1024mb=1gb.

    I have 6gb of ram, but ubuntu sees it as 5.8

    It's the same on every computer in the world.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
    "The industry has coped with the dual definitions because system memory (RAM) typically uses the binary meaning while disk storage uses the SI meaning, but there are exceptions like diskettes and Compact Disks. The International System of Units defines no units for digital information but the SI prefixes may be applied outside the contexts where base units or derived units would be used."
    I know what you are talking about and you are wrong.

    The number of kilobytes reported by BIOS and the number reported by /proc/meminfo:
    are different. And they do use same units.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas666 View Post
    The number of kilobytes reported by BIOS and the number reported by
    If you find an answer I would be most interested.

    RAM is sold by memory size and the BIOS reports RAM. That is the standard that I learned and I am yet to hear of a better more accepted measurement.
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

    Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    GMT-5
    Beans
    140
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by u.b.u.n.t.u View Post
    If you find an answer I would be most interested.

    RAM is sold by memory size and the BIOS reports RAM. That is the standard that I learned and I am yet to hear of a better more accepted measurement.
    And I agree. But why Ubuntu does not have access to all the bytes? What's happened to them (the missing ones)? Could it be the BIOS stealing them?

    L.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: Total memory numbers don't match (8GB)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukas666 View Post
    And I agree. But why Ubuntu does not have access to all the bytes? What's happened to them (the missing ones)? Could it be the BIOS stealing them?

    L.
    Indeed, one of life's many riddles!
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

    Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •