Thread: lazy question--why are the intel video drivers sooooo bad?

Beans

lazy question--why are the intel video drivers sooooo bad?

this is not a constructive criticism or an intelligent post, but i am curious about the answer.

WHY DO THE INTEL VIDEO DRIVERS SUCK SOOOOOOOOOO MUCH? watching flash videos should not require cutting edge technology. even with the new driver in 9.10, full-screen videos stutter distractingly, as does the process of dragging windows across the screen. games that have a linux-native port, such as q3, run fine under windows with native resolution and max setting; on linux they are unplayable even at 640x480.

why is this? these drivers are being officially programmed by intel employees, right? i understand it has something to do with their "open-source technology center," but i can't figure out if that means they're actually programming the drivers or just releasing the source and then washing their hands of whatever the community comes up with.

why is my life so hard? (it's not. i realize this is a silly thing to whine about. but it's the main thing that keeps me from completely switching to linux; i always boot windows to watch movies and play games.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: lazy question--why are the intel video drivers sooooo bad?

It's all about money.

ATI and Nvidia sell cards for their 3d qualities. That means games. Games are largely Windows based.

That said, a trend is growing where ATI and Nvidia are providing better Linux support, because Linux users such as you and I demand a fully working Graphics card on Windows as well as Linux.

Good post, you echo the sentiments of many, myself included!
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Well, because they are the default drivers. PC manufacturers don't care about video card quality, you need to purchase a good ol' NVidia Card! They are completely amazing. Certified!
    Blackened is the end!

Beans

Where are the thousands of eyes of the Open source community thats supposed to be fixing things? They begged for Open Source drivers and they are worse then Nvidia's proprietary ones

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jrusso2 View Post
    Where are the thousands of eyes of the Open source community thats supposed to be fixing things? They begged for Open Source drivers and they are worse then Nvidia's proprietary ones
    I don't think that is a fair call.
    My wiki page ... ATI 9.11 & Ubuntu 9.10 ... Time Capsule ... Ubuntu in 5 years!
    Brainstorm ideas ...Stop Blank Screen ... Gui Xorg Edit

Ubuntu is reinventing the wheel ... making it round.

Beans

Flash is problematic on any platform.

Beans

so does anyone understand what's actually going on with the open-source intel drivers? are they being developed by intel employees or community members? the websites are ambiguous.