Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Thunderbird 3.0 Available - Ubuntuzilla Reports Corrupt Package

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Thunderbird 3.0 Available - Ubuntuzilla Reports Corrupt Package

Quote Originally Posted by motorcity909 View Post
    Thanks nanotube. I tried this but Thunderbird simply said there were no new updates.

Will your suggestion of a fresh tb3 install also keep my profile intact?
    Ah, well, maybe tb2 isn't set to automatically update to tb3, maybe only to look for v2 updates...

at any rate - your profile and mail /should/ be ok, but you should make a complete backup of your profile for 'just in case'.

as part of the install process, ubuntuzilla will prompt you to make a backup - or you can make one yourself ahead of time. but i can't stress it enough: MAKE A BACKUP. there's always a chance for things to go brown and stinky, and if that happens, you'll be very glad of your backup.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    Ah, well, maybe tb2 isn't set to automatically update to tb3, maybe only to look for v2 updates...

at any rate - your profile and mail /should/ be ok, but you should make a complete backup of your profile for 'just in case'.

as part of the install process, ubuntuzilla will prompt you to make a backup - or you can make one yourself ahead of time. but i can't stress it enough: MAKE A BACKUP. there's always a chance for things to go brown and stinky, and if that happens, you'll be very glad of your backup.
    Thanks again nanotube.

Am I right in saying it's
    ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p thunderbird

And will this overwrite v2? Would I be best to remove TB completely first, then reinstall
    via Ubuntuzilla?

My profile is backed up daily to an ext HD and a memory stick that leaves the house with me
    (paranoid? me? )

Cheers
    Dave

Beans
    Distro

Thanks again nanotube.

Am I right in saying it's
    ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p thunderbird
    yes, that's correct

And will this overwrite v2? Would I be best to remove TB completely first, then reinstall
    via Ubuntuzilla?
    If you currently have the repositories version of thunderbird installed: don't uninstall it, ubuntuzilla's version will be installed in a different place and won't even touch it.

if you currently have the ubuntuzilla version installed - can't hurt to run the ubuntuzilla -a remove -p thunderbird first, just to make sure no old tb2 files stick around and confuse anything.

My profile is backed up daily to an ext HD and a memory stick that leaves the house with me
    (paranoid? me? )
    always glad to see a fellow with a sensible backup strategy

Beans
    Distro

If you currently have the repositories version of thunderbird installed: don't uninstall it, ubuntuzilla's version will be installed in a different place and won't even touch it.

if you currently have the ubuntuzilla version installed - can't hurt to run the ubuntuzilla -a remove -p thunderbird first, just to make sure no old tb2 files stick around and confuse anything.
    My version is the repositories version. If the Ubuntuzilla version gets installed elsewhere will I have to copy my profile into a different folder? Won't there be a bunch of TB2 files & folders still left around?

I presume I'll need to point my TB launchers to the new version if it's installed elsewhere?

Apologies for all the questions and thank you so much for your patience.

I'm guessing that part of my issue here is that when I first moved over to Ubuntu in the summer, the repository Firefox wasn't the latest version, so I found Ubuntuzilla and it's been cool since. However, I didn't do the same for TB as the repository version was the latest version.

Beans
    Distro

All sorted! Got TB3 installed successfully and am loving it.

I have turned off the Smart folders - prefer separate inbox/sent/deleted folders.

That aside, it feels faster, looks great and I really like tabbed emails.

Thanks for everyone's help on this thread.

Dave

Beans
    Distro

My version is the repositories version. If the Ubuntuzilla version gets installed elsewhere will I have to copy my profile into a different folder? Won't there be a bunch of TB2 files & folders still left around?

I presume I'll need to point my TB launchers to the new version if it's installed elsewhere?

Apologies for all the questions and thank you so much for your patience.

I'm guessing that part of my issue here is that when I first moved over to Ubuntu in the summer, the repository Firefox wasn't the latest version, so I found Ubuntuzilla and it's been cool since. However, I didn't do the same for TB as the repository version was the latest version.
    Just to clarify, even though i see in a later post that you have it all installed and figured out

you don't have to touch your profile, it will get picked up by tb3 automatically.

the launchers will get repointed by ubuntuzilla automatically

yes, the tb2 binaries will still be around... but what's a few megabytes between friends? and it doesn't hurt to have it available for 'just in case'.

anyway, glad it all works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

I don't think that using Ubuntuzilla, or any other software installer that doesn't integrate with Ubuntu's package manager, is a good idea. I'd even say that it's a bad idea, but that's up to you.

Anyway, the easiest way to install Thunderbird 3.0 in Karmic is by using the Mozilla Beta PPA . As of today it has Shredder RC3, which is by all practical means identical to the final Thunderbird 3 release.

The build from this PPA will integrate better into your Ubuntu and look much nicer than Mozilla's own. Plus, unlike the Mozilla Daily Build PPA, you'll only get milestone releases, not daily updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

UPDATE: [FIXED] I downloaded the updated .deb and it worked fine. Thunderbird 3.0 is up and running. Thanks!

Hi
    They're using a new gpg key to sign the packages, which Ubuntuzilla wasn't aware of. Try the latest release ubuntuzilla (4.8.2) which solves this problem.
    I tried to update ubuntuzilla by issuing:

Code:
    ubuntuzilla.py -a updateubuntuzilla
    and received the following error:

Code:
    md5sum: ubuntuzilla-4.8.2-0ubuntu1-amd64.deb: No such file or directory
    ubuntuzilla-4.8.2-0ubuntu1-amd64.deb: FAILED open or read
    md5sum: WARNING: 1 of 1 listed file could not be read
    md5sum -c /tmp/ubuntuzilla-4.8.2-0ubuntu1-amd64_md5sum.txt
    Previous command has failed to complete successfully. Exiting.
    Process returned code 1
    Package MD5 sum failed verification. Deleting all downloaded files and exiting.
    As you can tell from the code, I'm using a 64bit version of ubuntu.

Any ideas how this can be fixed?

Thanks!
    Last edited by HonzaPokorny; December 15th, 2009 at 06:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by thuerrschmidt View Post
    Ubuntuzilla ... doesn't integrate with Ubuntu's package manager....
    Synaptic? Apt?

Is this like adding "deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian karmic non-free"?

Thunderbird 3's delete button has been buggy for me, so I used ubuntuzilla to make sure I had the latest build.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567