Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    6

    Smile Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Hello,

    Is there a way to update or install programs on the Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive? I have a flash drive with Ubuntu 9.04 on it, it boots great on school pcs and just to use overall on pcs other than mine. I tried to install a program from the synaptic package manager and it doesn't work also when I try to update, it fails. I think it has to do with the read and write permissions on the USB drive, is there anyway to do this? It would be really cool if this could work! Any help would be appreciated ! Thank you!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Beans
    1,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    What method did you use to install ubuntu on the drive?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    What method did you use to install ubuntu on the drive?
    I used a boot cd to make the bootable usb.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Beans
    1,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by marcosdg3 View Post
    I used a boot cd to make the bootable usb.
    Do you mean the USB Startup Disk Creator?

    Btw, do not update ubuntu on usb flash drive. It will make it unusable. I personally have had no problems installing software on a flash drive.
    Last edited by HappyFeet; December 8th, 2009 at 04:08 AM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    Do you mean the USB Startup Disk Creator?
    Yes sir

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Connecticut USA
    Beans
    1,865
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Making an ubuntu usb flash drive is not an exact science. I would just reinstall it and see what happens.
    Last edited by HappyFeet; December 8th, 2009 at 07:01 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    Making an ubuntu usb flash drive is not an exact science. I would just reinstall it and see what happens.
    Well overall the flashdrive works great, there are no problems with it. I was just wondering if I could update the Ubuntu os files and install programs that aren't put there by the USB Startup Creator. Maybe I need to dabble a little more into this and see if I can get it to update. Any help in doing this would be appreciated

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by marcosdg3 View Post
    Well overall the flashdrive works great, there are no problems with it. I was just wondering if I could update the Ubuntu os files and install programs that aren't put there by the USB Startup Creator. Maybe I need to dabble a little more into this and see if I can get it to update. Any help in doing this would be appreciated
    As said above, an update WILL BREAK the install. You will need to make a new one using the USB Startup Creator. However, standard programs work fine.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Beans
    6

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Quote Originally Posted by darth-vader View Post
    As said above, an update WILL BREAK the install. You will need to make a new one using the USB Startup Creator. However, standard programs work fine.
    I'm sorry I don't think I'm understanding. Can I use my newly created flashdrive, boot, then install a program to that flashdrive without breaking the install?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    United States
    Beans
    238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

    Re: Install programs or update on a Ubuntu bootable USB flash drive

    Yes. That is fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •