Thread: Can't click with usb mouse or trackpad buttons

Beans

Can't click with usb mouse or trackpad buttons

Ok, this is a really bizarre problem. I installed Ubuntu 9.10 about a month ago, and everything has worked great. But a couple days ago, the buttons on my wireless usb mouse stopped working. I'd click various things but nothing would happen. Brand new batteries, and I was able to move the cursor.

Also, it would only be like this in certain applications. For example, the first time it only wouldn't click in Firefox, but I was able to click the Ubuntu menus and such. Then it evolved to the point where I couldn't click those menus either.

It used to be sporattic. It would stop working, then fix itself after a while. But now every time I boot up into Ubuntu, I can hardly do anything, because once I launch an application (any application), the clicks stop working.

Any idea what the heck is going on?

Beans

Re: Can't click with usb mouse or trackpad buttons

It could be that the mouse drivers got messed up, you could (if you have a spare wired mouse) reconnect the mouse from scratch, i have found that ubuntu 9.10 is much more friendly with bluetooth mice, so if this doesn't work, I would reccomend backing up and re-installing.

Beans

Would screwed up drivers explain why my laptop's built-in mouse doesn't work either? It's the same story with that: I can move with the track pad but can't click.

Beans

Quick update: the problem seems to be intermittent. The mice (the built-in and usb) clicks were working completely, then stopped. Now they're working again. Rebooting does not seem to be a way to temporarily fix it, as there was one instance where it didn't work right after startup.