Page 84 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Pilotgeek View Post
    I honestly think that adroid IS the best version of linux to use on these netbooks. It's extremely fast, and I can have multiple internet windows open while playing mp3s. It is very easy to get a terminal emulator runing and rooting android is quite easy. Because android is designed for something with this horrible of hardware, it runs better than any other distro with any other window manager. Just my $0.02.
    No doubt android may be the better choice at the moment. i agree, it is optimised for our kind of hardware. But you have to remember that linux is still very new on these machines. Give it time and people will slowly keep building on it, making it more user friendly and efficient.
    On that note, I have somewhat of a request. Would it be possible for someone to package a debian installer with x11 and a few basics to have it up and running. I am not to good with working at comand line. i do intend to learn, but at the moment with uni exams, i dont have much time at the moment. The thing that is most important os to have a frontend for the wifi. I have no idea how to set up and maintain the wifi from command line.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Knightwalker View Post
    I tried several WM with abrasive's debian X11 and these are results.

LXDE: Works fine. But extremly slow. Easy to use. One web browsing cause extreme delay.
    Xfce : Quite speedy. Default Web browser doesn't work
    IceWM: Very fast. Problem is I don't know how to use it.
    Fluxbox: Very fast. I totally naked.
    Gnome: Couldn't complete installation. (Gnome is too huge to install)
    KDE: Same problem.

It seems Xfce is good for linux dummies. But I need to confirm it.
    Knightwalker which do you think is better for these little machines? Xfce or LXDE? I did some looking and I like LXDE but what do you think?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by su8z3ro View Post
    I have a wince umpc with the wm-8505 processor and i'm trying to install abrasive's debian. every thing works until it reboots the it just sits there with the penguin on the screen with the progress bar running underneath... any ideas? i thought it may have been a bad download so i downloaded again and tried again and am getting the same result.... it's been going for about an hour now.... should it take this long?
    Processor Type: VIA ARM WM-8505
    Processor Speed: 300 MHz
    Screen Size: 7 inch
    Operating System: WindowsCE 6.0
    Memory (RAM): 128 MB
    Primary Drive: NAND Fast Flash
    Hard Drive Capacity: 2 GB

Thanks,
    su8z3ro

Come on.... anyone have any ideas???

Beans

hey there. long story short i've been following the thread for a week or two and recently got a WM8505 (spicy red color), been in touch with abrasive and some other peoples via the IRC room ( irc://irc.freenode.net/#easypc ) and we've been able to A) figure out an issue that ships with these devices and B) a way to work around it by using both an SD card AND a USB stick.

If you have been trying to boot debian live via SD card on a WM8505 and have not been able to, likely by getting a loader that never finishes loading, then instructions on a temporary easy work around are to follow. The issue specifically is that the SD reader itself on the motherboard and/or the kernel mounts the SD card itself in Read Only mode -- which makes it impossible for Debian to do its ninja magic and get itself running. Abrasive thought maybe his SD reader was broken, so he performed a hardware work around, but both myself and another user in IRC have been able to verify that this is the case. Have no fear! this totally works:

How to Live Boot Debian via SD + USB

Going to briefly describe the basic steps required to prepare both an SD card and a USB flash drive for live booting Debian without installing or overwriting your nand. Basically, the SD card provides instructions on what to do and which filesystem to load, and then it loads the debian filesystem off the USB stick so you can play live. All the packages you install and changes you make will stick.

You will need to format your SD card and USB stick much in the same way you previously did, difference being SD card holds the script directory and is FAT32 while the USB stick is EXT2 and holds the Debian filesystem. The following references fdisk specifications.

SD Card
    Type: b (WIN95 FAT32)
    Size: 32MB
    Contents: scripts folder (extracted from fatpart.tgz or fatpartusb.tgz)

USB flash drive
    Type: 83 (Linux) aka EXT2
    Size: Up to you, but at least 256mb preferably.
    Contents: debian filesystem (extracted from extpart.tgz)

Probably going to skip describing how to go about formatting, partitioning, and preparing the SD card and USB stick using linux and fdisk or otherwise, but will probably end up posting it at some point (if not here, then at the site we're working on for these devices and linux)

Both partitions (SD / USB) for use in this should be the 1st and primary partition #1 -- following instructions will expect that debian filesystem is at /dev/sda1 which it always is with 1 usb device plugged in and debian filesystem as first partition. You can adjust as needed with the manual instructions.

Manual preparation of cmd / scriptcmd
    If you would like to do this manually, or need to make adjustments to where the debian fs is loaded from (perhaps you're using partition 2 and want to make it /etc/sda1p2 ? ) follow these basic instructions:

1. this assumes you're using linux
    2. navigate your way into the /scripts directory on the sd card
    3. edit the cmd file with your favorite editor
    4. change root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 to root=/dev/sda1
    5. add rootdelay=10 after root/dev/sda1
    6. should read: setenv bootargs mem=112M root=/dev/sda1 rootdelay=10
    7. now execute ./make_scriptcmds
    8. place SD in wm8505 and plug USB stick in
    9. reboot, and voila.. dinner is served

Download SD + USB - fatpart.tgz / scriptcmd
    extpart.tgz for the USB stick is the exact same, but here is a download to the adjusted scriptcmd and adjusted packaged version, fatpartusb.tgz

The originals:
    http://bur.st/~abrasive/wm8505_linux/1.0/fatpart.tgz
    http://bur.st/~abrasive/wm8505_linux/1.0/extpart.tgz

Thank you very much for all your help and hard work abrasive, he's definitely the only reason i was able to figure out how to get it to work in this way thanks also to everyone else thats helped me from the IRC room, much appreciated
    Last edited by styol; April 28th, 2010 at 11:29 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dudesky1325 View Post
    Knightwalker which do you think is better for these little machines? Xfce or LXDE? I did some looking and I like LXDE but what do you think?
    Well, LXDE seems to user friendly and definitely for beginner. But, as I mentioned earlier, it too slow!!!!!!! If you have some kind overclock utility, it may helps.

Running speed of Xfce is OK. BUT I still couldn't figure out why default browser doesn't work. I may get some result over the weekend.

Beans

Can i do the same with android-ARM-8505-Smartbook file meaning install without erasing or rewriting the entire NAND it was suggested in another forum that install the android os this way would be better. I would like some pointers how the how to, im a beginner forgive me.

Beans

Can the android-ARM-8505-Smartbook file be installed without erasing or rewriting the entire NAND on the 8505?

Beans

There seems to be a finished Android kernel system for WM8505 chipsets. But then it's keyboard-less and might not work without touchscreeny:

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Eken-M001/
    http://www.ekengroup.com/en/product/show.asp?id=780

Beans

Need help really.
    Tried to restore the firmware using the software from cnmbook.com.
    I've done everything shown in the instructions. But now it doesn't boot. Just blinks with 3 right LEDs and nothing else.
    I need help

Beans

First of all hello to everyone and congratulations.

The Eken does not only the TP701

but also http://www.ekengroup.com/en/product/show.asp?id=770

and many others that are studied on this forum!

Page 84 of 124 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast