Page 99 of 124 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ibsrom View Post
    su -l works
    Presumingly, you still can't get to a root shell with that, though Well, you have at least two ways: either try to find some insecurity in your current configuration (like a privileged daemon that you could (ab)use) or go the "hardware way", i.e. find UART and/or JTAG on your board and use those to execute your own code.

For the latter, you would at least need a multimeter and a serial dongle with TTL voltage. I use a cheap Chinese USB cable for some old mobile phone that has a box in the middle with a PL2303 usb-to-serial chip. The onboard serial port most probably consists of 4 pins (or soldering points), one being ground, one +5V/+3.3V power supply and the remaining two being TTL-level Rx and Tx. Power may be missing, then you will have only 3 pins. You might also see two parallel leads going from Rx and Tx straight to the main chip. Ground is typically connected to any shieldings inside the case, so you can find it with a multimeter (short-circuit testing). So, you just connect your serial dongle's ground to the board's ground, open a terminal on the host PC (`busybox microcom -s 115200 /dev/ttyUSB0` or similar) and use the dongle's Rx input to find a pin that prints characters when the device powers up. That one would be the board's serial Tx.

Beans

In minor addition to the previous post; a little recommendation:

Try to measure the voltage on the TxD pin before you connect anything to the RxD pin. If you find 3.3 Volts on the TxD pin, then take care to not expose the RxD pin to more than 3.3 Volts too.

The reason for mentioning: If the connection of your RxD signal is directly into the CPU/SoC chip (as is the case with my machine..), it is most probable that the maximum voltage on the RxD pin is also 3.3 Volts. If that is so, then you would probably 'kill' the CPU/SoC chip if you'd 'feed' 5.0 Volts into the RxD pin.

Somewhere in this thread (around 'page 13' probably), there is -i think- a mention of one proud owner of a VT8500/WM8505 machine who got burned by that mistake....

Beans

@alchark, prfaas:
    Thank you very much for your support.
    I suspect that firmware update can be done through a little USB on the back, like in PPC and smartphone case. I will try this first, I found some software, SDK, something like that, for building the firmware for this CPU.
    The Linux on it is at least lame. I have a HTC HERMES, and I fonud a lot of firmwares made by lots of guys, and a lot of programs for, and I am very pleased with the windoze 6.1-6.5 I currently use with it.

Beans

I'm pretty sure the ubisurfer is a different SOC than the vt8500 and wm8505.

Beans

Yes, it has S3C2450, based on arm926ej-s, v5.
    Now it is frozen in the bootscreen, after I installed manually some shared libraries for synaptic and aptitude, and I was replacing a libc shortcut with the file itself, it was frozen in linux, hardware reset, and now only bootscreen.
    I wrote to the datawind techsupport, waiting to see if they provide me with firmware and method.
    I opened it and it has no hard switches and appears not to have jtag, but a miniUSB near the processor, witch I suspect is the way flashing is performed.

Beans

Hello

I want to buy one of this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=170517933617

I want to ask you if i could install ubuntu or another os on it ... thank you!

Beans

Check this out, guys. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/23...therboard.html
    I tried to speak to Ebenda managers - they don't reply.

Beans

Hello everyone, sorry if im asking this question for the 100th time (I did read about 20 pages, but i couldnt read all the topic), but i just want to know if its Yes or No (You'we done a lot of researches so i dont know the anwser), is it possible to install unix on this netbook (Debian, Ubuntu or any other)?
    Cause i was thinking of ordering it, just the WinCE that doesent suit me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Max399 View Post
    i just want to know if its Yes or No
    Yes If you get a WM8505, you are more lucky, as there is a nearly complete kernel source archive for 2.6.29-android released by VIA, see http://lists.gpl-violations.org/pipe...ly/002204.html

VT8500 would need work.

Quote Originally Posted by barthezz View Post
    Check this out, guys. http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/23...therboard.html
    I tried to speak to Ebenda managers - they don't reply.
    It should most probably fit into our cases, but quite likely there will be problems with the LCD panel, keyboard and touchpad, as they may be different. And frankly, I'd rather get a cheap "ordinary" x86 netbook instead of bothering with these

Beans

[sutpid_question]
    Installing Unix on it, putting Apache on it and use as a little Server? Doesent use too much power, silent.
    [/sutpid_question]

Page 99 of 124 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast