Page 9 of 124 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

shade_emry, do you mean the program is not there or that it's just not working correctly? If it isn't working correctly, maybe you can get a copy of the WiFi app. I believe a copy is in the zip files I placed on RapidShare, in message #73 above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shade_emry View Post
    OK everyone, i have been following this thread with great intrest, and i've decided to divulge how to unbrick the semi-bricked machines, below is the instructions...

NOTE:: this will recover the netbooks that have no boot screen what so ever, apprently the wat the arm processor is set up, their is a built in pieace of code that always cehcks the sd card for boot, so if your gona create a boot device, u need to look at the script as it tells the arm processor how to behave since it lacks a "bios" or like what we are used to.

you can download the program and update it. the netbook will work. This is the update program link:
    http://zeng.h1.28823.cn/VT8505Software.rar
    http://zeng.h1.28823.cn/VT8500Software.rar

Please make sure if your netbook CPU is the version of WM8505 or VT8500.
    If your CPU is WM8505, Please download the http://zeng.h1.28823.cn/VT8505Software.rar

if your CPU is VT8500. Please download the http://zeng.h1.28823.cn/VT8500Software.rar

If you are not sure. You can download VT8505Software.rar . if the software update failed , you can download other software to try.

After you get the software, you need to find a SD card (memory card or USB memory )which is more then 512M to copy the software to setup the software.
    Please do as follows:
    1. Please decompressing files , open the VT8500 or VT8505 folder. Then copy the directory “script” to your SD card.
    (Very important, you only need copy the script folder to your SD card. don't include the VT8500 or VT8505 folder.)
    2. Turn off your netbook,
    3. Insert the SD card to your netbook.
    4. Turn on your netbook. Then the software will setup to your netbook Automatically. Usually it will take several minutes completed setup.
    5. After completed setup. It will show a windows call your turn off the netbook. Then turn off it.
    6. Put the SD card out of the netbook.
    7. Then turn on the netbook and all should be OK.

I hope this helps, now remember if you wan to do a "u-Disc boot" the arm processor is set up to look (or in most cases) to the back of the notebook for a boot device.

Now if someone could be nice enough to copy these files somewhere, like megaupload or rapid share, that would be amazing, i got the feeling these programs will not be at the said links for to long.

Also, you can modify the script to install almost any flavor of linux or android that is compatible with ARM processor tech. i don't know exactly how this is done, but my buddy is buying these laptops off of ebay, loading them with the said os'es and selling them locally, ill ask him if he can divulge how he does it.
    Do we know what app created the scriptcmd? I ask because it looks like it has some binary code in the beginning and I was wondering what created it? Is it something that can be read by a particular application?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwinston91 View Post
    shade_emry, do you mean the program is not there or that it's just not working correctly? If it isn't working correctly, maybe you can get a copy of the WiFi app. I believe a copy is in the zip files I placed on RapidShare, in message #73 above.

the amount of times it can be dwnloaded has been exceded, can you upload it to megaupload or something?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dwinston91 View Post
    Do we know what app created the scriptcmd? I ask because it looks like it has some binary code in the beginning and I was wondering what created it? Is it something that can be read by a particular application?

that binary code i beleve is used by the arm to identify and execute a certain mode, i think i had the utility to build it somewhere, ill see if i can find it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shade_emry View Post
    the amount of times it can be dwnloaded has been exceded, can you upload it to megaupload or something?
    I'll have to upload it later..Access is blocked where I am right now (at work).

Beans

Hello, I have an Alpie Technologie Easypc E700 Wince series 7'' Notebook. It's like your machines. It came with (partly) Italian Windows CE 6.0 which I lost.

You have been very helpful to me, this is like the only place I found on the internet where people are talking about this subject.
    That said, the files in VT8500Software.rar worked successfully for me and I've "unbricked" my laptop about three times as of now.

Unluckily the internal mouse and keyboard aren't working because probably I broke a fuse on the motherboard for them while I was trying to fit the keyboard cable back in, USB mouse and keyboard work fine, though.

"scriptcmd" is simply an U-Boot script image, you can do that with the mkimage tool. Our notebooks use a modified version of U-Boot with some non-standard commands (cleanlcd, textout, sdwaitins). Most commands work, like mw (which does memory writes). I was even able to write small images converted to script on the framebuffer with a program I wrote, and they displayed on the screen fine, directly from U-Boot.
    I wasn't able to redirect the U-Boot output and input, though. Maybe I have to do saveenv and reboot? I'm afraid to brick my notebook if I do that :/

About running Linux on this machine, I got the Linux kernel for the YF-700 to boot, by remaining only the parts of the script where it loads the kernel and the ramdisk on the flash and where it sets bootcmd and bootargs, and by playing with lcdparam, I changed the 800 and 480 in that variable to 1024 and 768, so I get a cut 1024x768 image on the screen, but the output doesn't appear as garbage and it is fully readable font. Remember to do saveenv as it won't change resolution with lcdinit! It hangs at "irq3: nobody cared" and in (function?) via_ata_interrupt, because this machine doesn't have a SATA controller unlike the YF-700 thin client (based around the VIA VT8500 as well). There are no sources for this kernel, even if Linux is GPL. I contacted Kaser Corp. (the makers of the YF-700) for the sources yesterday, but I've not received any answer yet. If we could recompile the kernel, we would have our nice Linux...

I'd recommend to contact them about that: http://www.kasernet.com/contact-us
    The more we are, the better it is. It's GPL anyway, it's a legal obligation.

You can find the Linux I was talking about here: http://kasernet.livedrive.com/frameset.php?path=/files/

Kasernet's Public files > Public > YF-700 > Firmware > Busybox

Here is my directory on my webspace about this notebook: http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/easypc

notes.txt contains my note about the machine. There are also VT8500Software.rar, VT8505Software.rar, and dwinston91's wince_bak.zip.

linux_scriptcmd is the script you have to replace scriptcmd with to use the files in busybox-kernel-1.17.1.rar which you can find in the directory of Kaser I told you about.
    linux_scriptcmd also sets up the resolution to 1024x768.
    There's no risk of bricking of your notebook as Windows CE in VT8500Software.rar will restore just fine - and will restore the screen resolution as well.

P.S: To be clearer, the resolution of the LCD is actually 800x480. We apparently get the video card to output 1024x768 and the screen only displays the first horizontal 800 pixels and the first vertical 480 pixels.

-nextvolume
    Last edited by nextvolume; January 6th, 2010 at 06:04 PM.

Beans

Bravo!

we are that much closer!

Anyway, can you post pictures of the guts of yours and how you installed the mouse/keyboard? and a close up image of the ribbon cable, its possible you rubbed off the conductive part of the cable, if you did this, take a number 2 pencil and make a fine trace on the ribbon cable (using a ruler as a staight edge) where the the conductive traces use to be, its very possible you made a small hair crack in the traces where you removed the cable, and its breaking the trace, seeing as how the pencil is conductive it may work, gods only know i've had to do this a bunch before with keyboards that had spilled coke in em
    Last edited by shade_emry; January 6th, 2010 at 06:29 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nextvolume View Post
    Hello, I have an Alpie Technologie Easypc E700 Wince series 7'' Notebook. It's like your machines. It came with (partly) Italian Windows CE 6.0 which I lost.

You have been very helpful to me, this is like the only place I found on the internet where people are talking about this subject.
    That said, the files in VT8500Software.rar worked successfully for me and I've "unbricked" my laptop about three times as of now.

Unluckily the internal mouse and keyboard aren't working because probably I broke a fuse on the motherboard for them while I was trying to fit the keyboard cable back in, USB mouse and keyboard work fine, though.

"scriptcmd" is simply an U-Boot script image, you can do that with the mkimage tool. Our notebooks use a modified version of U-Boot with some non-standard commands (cleanlcd, textout, sdwaitins). Most commands work, like mw (which does memory writes). I was even able to write small images converted to script on the framebuffer with a program I wrote, and they displayed on the screen fine, directly from U-Boot.
    I wasn't able to redirect the U-Boot output and input, though. Maybe I have to do saveenv and reboot? I'm afraid to brick my notebook if I do that :/

About running Linux on this machine, I got the Linux kernel for the YF-700 to boot, by remaining only the parts of the script where it loads the kernel and the ramdisk on the flash and where it sets bootcmd and bootargs, and by playing with lcdparam, I changed the 800 and 480 in that variable to 1024 and 768, so I get a cut 1024x768 image on the screen, but the output doesn't appear as garbage and it is fully readable font. Remember to do saveenv as it won't change resolution with lcdinit! It hangs at "irq3: nobody cared" and in (function?) via_ata_interrupt, because this machine doesn't have a SATA controller unlike the YF-700 thin client (based around the VIA VT8500 as well). There are no sources for this kernel, even if Linux is GPL. I contacted Kaser Corp. (the makers of the YF-700) for the sources yesterday, but I've not received any answer yet. If we could recompile the kernel, we would have our nice Linux...

I'd recommend to contact them about that: http://www.kasernet.com/contact-us
    The more we are, the better it is. It's GPL anyway, it's a legal obligation.

You can find the Linux I was talking about here: http://kasernet.livedrive.com/frameset.php?path=/files/

Kasernet's Public files > Public > YF-700 > Firmware > Busybox

Here is my directory on my webspace about this notebook: http://tails92.sepwich.com/files/easypc

notes.txt contains my note about the machine. There are also VT8500Software.rar, VT8505Software.rar, and dwinston91's wince_bak.zip.

linux_scriptcmd is the script you have to replace scriptcmd with to use the files in busybox-kernel-1.17.1.rar which you can find in the directory of Kaser I told you about.
    linux_scriptcmd also sets up the resolution to 1024x768.
    There's no risk of bricking of your notebook as Windows CE in VT8500Software.rar will restore just fine - and will restore the screen resolution as well.

P.S: To be clearer, the resolution of the LCD is actually 800x480. We apparently get the video card to output 1024x768 and the screen only displays the first horizontal 800 pixels and the first vertical 480 pixels.

-nextvolume
    THX For providing a working space for the files poseted here!

Beans

Unluckily I don't have a digital photo camera and I can't take a photo of my board.
    I can tell the board's blue and it has the module soldered on it, not removable like PerChristensen's machine.

-nextvolume

Beans

can you run sereialview under the windows folder on the smartbook and copy paste all the info here?

Page 9 of 124 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast