Page 70 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ch4rlii View Post
    I can't write larger files in the filesystem. I tried /system/usr/. What am I doing wrong?
    How large? why you want to write to /system/usr/.?

It does not find my images, nor allows me to open a folder!?
    What kind of format about your images? this APP will select all pictures from SD card or U-disk by itself. if you just want to view pictures, I think maybe you have to find one APP for pictures view.

Beans

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by LikeUbun View Post
    How large? why you want to write to /system/usr/.?
    I tried to copy a scumm game with 1..1GB to /system/usr. I thought this would be the best place since there is no /home or /localhome. It failed copying after the second file, which was about 96MB. I think this is what also mmanu means with the missing 2GB storage.

Quote Originally Posted by LikeUbun View Post
    What kind of format about your images? this APP will select all pictures from SD card or U-disk by itself. if you just want to view pictures, I think maybe you have to find one APP for pictures view.
    Simple, small resolution JPG files stored in /udist/Fotos. Do I have to create a folder called /images or something?

Thanks!

Beans

Hi,
    I tried to copy a scumm game with 1..1GB to /system/usr. I thought this would be the best place since there is no /home or /localhome. It failed copying after the second file, which was about 96MB. I think this is what also mmanu means with the missing 2GB storage.
    Thanks!
    i don't think so. when you go to your settings/sd card & device storage/ you see the sd card and the internal device storage (where it puts the /) which has 195M of available space after installation (~ 256 - 51.7). it seems to me that that is why you can't copy a 1.1G file!

another related remark: the system seems to mount properly my usb flashdrive but i can't find it with ESfileExplorer.

Beans

I tried to copy a scumm game with 1..1GB to /system/usr. I thought this would be the best place since there is no /home or /localhome. It failed copying after the second file, which was about 96MB. I think this is what also mmanu means with the missing 2GB storage.!
    As mmau said, there is no enough space to copy so large files, you shoudl try SD card.

Simple, small resolution JPG files stored in /udist/Fotos. Do I have to create a folder called /images or something?
    it shoud be recognized, you can change to frame mode, and set path to /udit/Fotos, then your images will show.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

For those of you with the VT8505/WM8505 based netbooks, I've rolled up a Debian system around the Android kernel that was released, with drivers or userland tools for everything.
    It adds a few things (like a framebuffer console); it will run from SD alone, or if you wish, install to the device NAND.

X11 is not included to keep the download size down, but it's pretty quick to add with apt-get (figure another 25MB or so of downloadables).

You can find the filesystem tarballs and instructions at: http://bur.st/~abrasive/wm8505_linux/

Beans

i've resolved my azerty issue by brute force in the /system/usr/keylayout directly on the system (no need to modify the installation script).

the pdfviewer document to go, proposed by LikeUbun, seems not to be free for pdf (only for office)... i'm looking elsewhere (multireader does not work, office suite viewer messes the maths formulae, android pdf viewer is really slow & still has pb with the maths ... grrr)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abrasive View Post
    I've rolled up a Debian system around the Android kernel that was released
    Great!
    I will give it a try! Could you put your xorg.conf and sources.list in http://bur.st/~abrasive/wm8505_linux/ to have samples?
    Are 256MB OK for X11?
    Which wm do you suggest?
    Thank you!

Charly
    Last edited by ch4rlii; April 14th, 2010 at 04:26 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Great!
    I will give it a try! Could you put your xorg.conf and sources.list in http://bur.st/~abrasive/wm8505_linux/ to have samples?
    Are 256MB OK for X11?
    Which wm do you suggest?
    Thank you!

Charly
    There's a sources.list built into the images (it points at ftp.au.debian.org, which you will almost certainly want to change).

256mb is probably a bit of a squeeze for X11 - you won't have much room for anything else, if it fits...

I've uploaded an xorg.conf, will roll it into the next image.

Beans

Which wm do you suggest?
    Also, I use dwm. Very lightweight, rather minimal.

Beans

Hello everyone,
    I was just about to open a thread about the same issue,I see it is a popular subject around here.
    Well - I have bought two 7" nice,little mini-netbooks,they came with windows ce 5.0,
    my wish is to install linux on them,thinking something between custom gentoo system and damn-small-linux.
    Could`nt keep up with the posts in this thread,anyone can sum me some important info ?
    Basically:
    how can I make the boot via SD card / Flash - USB ?
    What distro those who was successful used for the right drivers ?

Thanks,
    Danny.

Page 70 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast