Page 62 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

No offense to ubuntu intended, but i think i'm going to report my wm8505 reverse-engineering findings (and -when appropriate-..) kernel builds in NextVolume's forum, here:

http://s0.blackmage.co.uk/~nextvolume/via_arm/index.php

from now on.

My reason is that i feel that this forum thread is getting so long that it is difficult to find back 'things' without resorting to google as a 'find pre-processor'.

A forum -with topic-wise subdivision- is -i feel- a better way to keep track of what is what.

I'll scan 'here' from time to time, and pm-s will result in a notification e-mail to me, so if you have something specific to report you will be able to 'find' me

NB: i'm quite a bit 'underway' in parsing the disassembled u-boot i 'grabbed' from my wm8505 machine(s). I 'found' the video framebuffer & video controller registers (i think..), as well as most of the I/O addresses of the other devices in the wm8505 SoC.
    I also 'dug out' the command-table, the video configurations table the invaluable 'printf' routine and lots and lots of error strings, so i hope the going will be a bit faster from here on.

Beans

Just FYI: As far as i can see, "Haleron" seems to have dropped the Linux option for their 7" VT8500 machine from their www-site.

Beans

As I can see, WM8505 has Android system, there is a manufactory announce this, find here: http://www.bluesky86.com/Android.asp?google os

they can provide sample now and I get one, it is smart book as the VT8500.

After testing, My version still has some issues need to be fixed but it can be used for most of application. they promise this androind system can be MP base WM8505 after 2 weeks.

Sounds great for all.
    Last edited by LikeUbun; March 24th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.

Beans

U are right...But there is something odd about the description.
    The software is natively WinCE supported only. IE or WinRAR... Fake Android or fake IE?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by barthezz View Post
    U are right...But there is something odd about the description.
    The software is natively WinCE supported only. IE or WinRAR... Fake Android or fake IE?
    en, I never check website, because I get one sample, it run android, that's point.

by the way, it is not so comfortable I used to UI of WinCE. and some functions need enhance such as "back to Home". I am waiting for their new version android, they said it is fixed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LikeUbun View Post
    As I can see, WM8505 has Android system, there is a manufactory announce this, find here: http://www.bluesky86.com/Android.asp?google os

they can provide sample now and I get one, it is smart book as the VT8500.

After testing, My version still has some issues need to be fixed but it can be used for most of application. they promise this androind system can be MP base WM8505 after 2 weeks.

Sounds great for all.
    My apologies, but i have a little trouble understanding your post:

- I saw the www-site, mentioning android as os
    - did you get a sample of that machine? If so, how How much does it cost? (i also saw 256 MB RAM, i'd love to have that too )
    - What do you mean with 'can be MP base wm8505 after 2 weeks'?

In any case: great to see that the WinCE-only barrier looks about to be broken

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PrFaas View Post
    My apologies, but i have a little trouble understanding your post:

- I saw the www-site, mentioning android as os
    - did you get a sample of that machine? If so, how How much does it cost? (i also saw 256 MB RAM, i'd love to have that too )
    - What do you mean with 'can be MP base wm8505 after 2 weeks'?

In any case: great to see that the WinCE-only barrier looks about to be broken
    Yes, I get one machine, and playing, it is android system, but only 128 MB RAM, a little slow.

cost? it is sample to me, so I really do not know how much. maybe around USD80.00.

you are right, they said the final machine will have 256 MB RAM, Android system will have a final version at begin of April. MP time should be that time, i think, maybe later.

-LikeUbun

PS: I viewed www-site again to find what I missed. seems they correct some data.
    I am intersting to that 10.2" laptop, it shows have 256MB. and love to have one. I will contact with them for details.
    Last edited by LikeUbun; March 25th, 2010 at 04:53 PM.

Beans

Hi!
    I recently bought an ARM-WM8505 Netbook with WinCE and I'm trying without success to install any flavor of linux in it. I already tried Easy PC and 3MX but I can't get the installation to start! I formatted the SD card as FAT16 and copied the files but it still didn't worked... The WinCE script recover files work, but I can't get any linux installation to work! Can anybody help me? Did anyone get a linux working with the ARM WM8505? Thanks

Beans

MS - suxx. If I want to add a localization (russian for me), I NEED to rebuild my OS image and to install it to the device. How do U like it?
    I'm waiting for any usable linux distribution to burn to my little book more and more.
    What should I start with?

Beans

Angry Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Hi,

I need help with my WM8505 (NAND : 2Gb - RAM : 128Mb - BOARD : P706_MAIN_V5).
    I bought this netbook from ebay but it never woks :
    I just have "Loading Os Image ..." and nothing else ...
    I tried to restore with a SD (FAT32 or FAT16 with "VT8505 Software" or "EASYPC LINUX") and it acts like there is no SD inserted ! always "Loading Os Image ..."

I think this kind of netbook need a special tricks to enable SD recovery !
    Have you got an idea ?

Thanks
    Thierry
    Last edited by dadwarf; March 27th, 2010 at 04:06 PM.

Page 62 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast