Page 24 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Quote Originally Posted by lauriesherrod View Post

I'm pretty technically competent if anyone can tell me how to load an OS on one of these. This one has a 2 GB flash memory of some kind - no way I can find to get into anything like BIOS. It does start up into a bit of Windows.

Thanks!!!

Format an SD card with FAT32, dump the /script folder 'as is' direct on to the SD card, so it sits like this:

s:\script\

Nothing else is required in the root directory.

Insert the SD card in to the Netbook (While off) and turn it on. It will auto boot from the SD card and reformat/install WinCE - the process takes about 10 minutes.

That should get you back up and going, as for the IE bug - it may be a permanent issue (The OS isn't the most stable).

Good Luck!

Beans

Hey guys. Saw this thread linked from another forum. Not sure if this will help you at all, but i created a userland for the MIPS version of these netbooks. I could offer up a dmesg.txt if need be. Not sure how useful it'd be though being a different kernel and architecture. Or check out this website which has loads of technical info and pictures:

http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/...0/WebTopicList

And of course a shameless plug for my mipsel userland:

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesig...pic,794.0.html

Cheers.

Beans

OMFG.

Serial now working. Hacked up an ATX power supply and ran the 5v rail off that to the MAX232IN...

Output is same as PrFaas....

Attempting Kernel boot with serial console.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by litch84 View Post
    OMFG.

Serial now working. Hacked up an ATX power supply and ran the 5v rail off that to the MAX232IN...

Output is same as PrFaas....

Attempting Kernel boot with serial console.

Game over - forgot to limit the output voltage of the MAX232 and killed it.

Might get another soon if some progress is made elsewhere (I give up).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by litch84 View Post
    Game over - forgot to limit the output voltage of the MAX232 and killed it.

Might get another soon if some progress is made elsewhere (I give up).
    Sorry to hear you 'blasted' yours. I hope it will serve as a warning to those that are about to attempt a serial console: take care with the voltage you 'feed' into the rx pin....

I was afraid of this kind of thing myself. That is one of the reasons i got two of those machines right from the start.... I do not think i can rely upon my local 'pots & pans' shop to carry a lasting supply of the machines.... Better have a backup in case of accidents. The same is also a reason why i kept the output resistance of 'my' RS-232 buffer quite high-impedant: to limit the current into/out of the CPU of the thing.

Beans

I'm expecting a bunch of smd 74HCT14 and 74LV14 chips, plus smd zener diodes (3.3 and 4,7 Volts) and 'small-signal' smd diodes tomorrow. I was lucky: one Farnell 'order' was 'on the way out' at my work today. I managed to get a 'ride' (the company pays delivery/order costs, i pay for my components + a small extra)

I added a few mini-usb connectors: they are small enough to fit in edge of the box somewhere, and i guess i can use them to get my serial link(s) to the outside.... As for cables: a 'minor' modification to a standard mini-usb cable should 'do the work': if i cut off the 'normal' USB connector and connect it to a 9-pins sub-D mini, and we're ready to connect 'cleanly' to the outside world....

Beans

Matriark TerVel
    FYI: regarding thin client.Had a pleasant conversation earlier today with Mark at Educational Resources,and now positive email back.They have had a delay and will put the order in today.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PerChristensen View Post
    Matriark TerVel
    FYI: regarding thin client.Had a pleasant conversation earlier today with Mark at Educational Resources,and now positive email back.They have had a delay and will put the order in today.
    That's the best news I've heard all week!

Beans

Hi all,

I've got me kinda same thing several months ago.

http://www.q-media.eu/functions/list...em=230&lang=en

Reading this thread i find much things are the same. In my case its Jade Z228 with an arm926ej-s embedded. It has the same ztk password. System info says Processor Type: AKARM, ARM926-AKCHIP. It runs WinCE 5.

I got mine for using it as an sort of mediaplayer connected to my stereo, streaming music from a network drive, playing internet radio and some basic browsing. WinCE5 with IE6 and coreplayer (TCPMP) does allow me to do all this, but e.g. browsing is very limited with the poor javascript support and non flash support.
    It would be great to be able to take the machine to a higher level with linux. I'm looking forward to a first bootable linux.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 0vh301 View Post
    Hi all,

I've got me kinda same thing several months ago.

http://www.q-media.eu/functions/list...em=230&lang=en

Reading this thread i find much things are the same. In my case its Jade Z228 with an arm926ej-s embedded. It has the same ztk password. System info says Processor Type: AKARM, ARM926-AKCHIP. It runs WinCE 5.
    Welcome to the discussion.

This "AKARM" variant could possibly be like the cnmbook models. From doing taking a preliminary look at the "Firmware Upgrade" distribution (for the cnm models: http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/c...7SEsupport.htm), the syntax of the boot configuration seems to be a little different, and the hardware a little different as well.

We're all hoping that before too long we'll have Linux running on all of these ARM-based models.

The MIPS-based models are said to offer Linux as an OS choice already.

Page 24 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1422232425263474 ... LastLast