Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1233

Thread: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Beans

Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Hello,

and sorry if this has already been answered, I have searched this thread and not found a solution.

I have an EPC WM8505 netbook running windowsCE, I was wondering if it is possible to use a 3g dongle on this model, I have tried various but due to lack of drivers for CE have had no sucess, I was wondering if there is a flavour of Linux I can install onto this machine which will enable me to use my 3g modem dongle?

Many thanks

Gemma

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gemma22 View Post
    Hello,

and sorry if this has already been answered, I have searched this thread and not found a solution.

I have an EPC WM8505 netbook running windowsCE, I was wondering if it is possible to use a 3g dongle on this model, I have tried various but due to lack of drivers for CE have had no sucess, I was wondering if there is a flavour of Linux I can install onto this machine which will enable me to use my 3g modem dongle?

Many thanks

Gemma
    You might try the Linux I'm currently working on. There are several drivers for USB-dongles in it. I'm almost finished and almost ready to put it online.

Beans

Finished my Gentoo install for EPC VT8500
    A complete release with Midori webbrowser, Claws email, Pidgin messenger etc.
    Kernel should support VT8500 and WM8505 and different resolutions (you have to change some files for the resolutions)

Download:
    http://trac.freya-webtechniek.nl/tra...i/DownloadList

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get that version of Linux to work.
    I have a VT8500 and all that happens is that it turns on and displays the "Smart Book" screen, where the loading bar usually shows up, and nothing happens.
    Just to double check what I did was:
    Put the script folder with all 4 files on a fat32 sd card (256MB)
    and then i partitioned a 3.7 gig Usb Drive
    First part was ext3 3.6 Gb
    Second part was the swap at 133.35 Mb (I thought you said that 100 was enough, so I thought I'd try that)
    then I just dragged the files from the archive manager to the ext3 part.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DonutFUN View Post
    I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get that version of Linux to work.
    I have a VT8500 and all that happens is that it turns on and displays the "Smart Book" screen, where the loading bar usually shows up, and nothing happens.
    Just to double check what I did was:
    Put the script folder with all 4 files on a fat32 sd card (256MB)
    and then i partitioned a 3.7 gig Usb Drive
    First part was ext3 3.6 Gb
    Second part was the swap at 133.35 Mb (I thought you said that 100 was enough, so I thought I'd try that)
    then I just dragged the files from the archive manager to the ext3 part.
    Mhhz, even without a proper USB-stick it should boot the kernel until it reaches the point where it tries to mount the root fs.
    (i once tried to boot without the USB-stick and it waited until I inserted the USB-stic and went on happily)
    If it stalls at this point it appears to be unable to load the kernel image, or the kernel is crashing in a very early state.
    Maybe you have hardware which is slightly different from what I have.

By the way, you have to extract all the files being root onto the USB-stick, otherwise permissions are messed up.
    as root:
    cd /where/your/usb/root/is
    tar -xjvp -f /where/the/archive/is/file.tar.bz2

maybe you could try extracting the SD card files as well, being root. I see now that I have archived them as being my local user.
    Last edited by WendyB; February 4th, 2011 at 12:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I actually did do them as the root, so the permissions should have been good, and as for the sd card I had to do it on my other computer with XP because for some reason it doesn't let me, it has an error come up saying the permissions are wrong for some reason.

Beans

Angry Re: Linux on 7" mini netbook ARM-VT8500 ?

Hi,

I have downloaded the Gentoo for EPC VT8500, but netbook can't start the install from SD card...
    When I push the Power button, I see the message (Press F1 to update the system) with password "ztk" and this menu have only the options to format NAND flash.
    Please help me to boot this linux on my EPC (VT8500, ~240 mhz, 128 RAM. 2 gb NAND)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emostarxd View Post
    Hi,

I have downloaded the Gentoo for EPC VT8500, but netbook can't start the install from SD card...
    When I push the Power button, I see the message (Press F1 to update the system) with password "ztk" and this menu have only the options to format NAND flash.
    Please help me to boot this linux on my EPC (VT8500, ~240 mhz, 128 RAM. 2 gb NAND)
    It shouldn't try to install, only to boot from SD-card and then the USB-stick.
    Maybe you have a different BIOS?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DonutFUN View Post
    I actually did do them as the root, so the permissions should have been good, and as for the sd card I had to do it on my other computer with XP because for some reason it doesn't let me, it has an error come up saying the permissions are wrong for some reason.
    I recently uploaded a slightly different version where the permissions should be fixed

Beans

ZTE is a completely different processor manufacturer from VIA/WonderMedia, so you have an incompatible machine (your vendor has probably misspecified the processor, as it happens in China).

Page 112 of 124 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122 ... LastLast