Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ibook g4

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ibook g4

Not worth the money IMO. Apple's are so ridiculously overppriced.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by Protostar
    Yea, its because they have a monopoly... Not on the computer market, but on the OSX hardware market. You can only get OSX on a mac. No competition at all.

Want OSX? You are at the whims of apples hardware pricing.

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Protostar
    I wouldn't say "ridiculously" overpriced. Just more than is fair to charge. Either way, I like OS X when it has enough processing power on hand to actually be responsive .
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Locally-made computers are cheap, and they often develop problems or suffer unexplained crashes.

Computers built by real companies (Compaq, HP, Dell etc) are a bit more expensive, and are much more stable.

Stuff built by Apple lasts forever and is expensive. The Mac beside me is 9 years old. The Apple monitor connected to that computer is 15 years old. It's still running flawlessly.

In other words, even for Macs, you get what you pay for. There's nothing wrong with that.

In reply to an earlier poster, Mac users generally are at least as knowlegable as PC users. All Mac users know how to open documents in currently-running programs using drag 'n' drop. Few Windows users know that. All Mac users know what Firewire is. Most Windows users don't.

There's nothing wrong with not being knowlegable about computers, but I've found that Mac users generally know more about their own machines than Windows users do about theirs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum
    Locally-made computers are cheap, and they often develop problems or suffer unexplained crashes.

Computers built by real companies (Compaq, HP, Dell etc) are a bit more expensive, and are much more stable.

Stuff built by Apple lasts forever and is expensive. The Mac beside me is 9 years old. The Apple monitor connected to that computer is 15 years old. It's still running flawlessly.

In other words, even for Macs, you get what you pay for. There's nothing wrong with that.

In reply to an earlier poster, Mac users generally are at least as knowlegable as PC users. All Mac users know how to open documents in currently-running programs using drag 'n' drop. Few Windows users know that. All Mac users know what Firewire is. Most Windows users don't.

There's nothing wrong with not being knowlegable about computers, but I've found that Mac users generally know more about their own machines than Windows users do about theirs.
    Yeah, and the mac users also have that great terminal so you can install stuff from the fink project [fink.sf.net] with apt-get! Some users find out they can do a hell of a lot in this *nix-like world, and eventually some of them drop into Linux

I write Kupfer, a smart, quick launcher.
    Recommended apps and tools: Vim!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12