Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alt + Tab Issue

Beans

Unhappy Alt + Tab Issue

Hi,

After trying out a lot i have noticed that Ubuntu lacks some basic functionality which should be present in a multi-tasking operating system.

For eg.

I selected a text file and then on other hand i had gedit opened. Upon selecting the file and keeping my click, clicked i tried to press Alt+Tab to get the focus of gEdit but it won't work.

Basically i tried to drag and open the file in gedit but sad thing was that i was unable to switch from one window to another. What is the point ? Did i miss something ? Even small basic functionality is not there how am i suppose to use it. I guess the GUI is just for fun and real thing is in command line.

This is one of those reasons why people do not prefer Linux. Anyways please let me know if this is a glitch on my side coz i do that very well in Windows.

Thanks.
    East or west, Windows is Best!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Alt + Tab Issue

Doesn't gEdit open the file in a tab? Just click on the wanted tab.
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fancypiper View Post
    Doesn't gEdit open the file in a tab? Just click on the wanted tab.
    Maybe i did'nt explained it properly, here i go again:

Open gedit
    Open file explorer (Now gedit is in background)
    Select a text file in file explorer
    And try to click and drag it into the gedit.

Obviously as gedit is in background you will press Alt + Tab keys to get the focus while holding the selected text file.

Let me know if it was success.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Try setting your windows preferences so that it uses the mouse to raise focus.

I have gEdit preferences so that it allows only one instance, so it opens different files in the same window, but with a different tab.
    "Not a window in the house but somehow there's more light..."

Linux Power Tools

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Sorry but I don't see what the problem is.

I don't need to use Alt-Tab nor are there problems with fore/background focus, I simply drag a file from nautilus onto gEdit (in the background) and it opens a fresh tab with that file open (staying in background) - no need for Alt-Tab, no need for special preferences, just simple normal behaviour.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think he means that if it (gedit) isn't "visible" i.e. hidden behind the file explorer he is trying to open the file from and he wants to drag it into gedit to then edit the file... I haven't tried that in windows but you can always drag it to the "bottom panel" over the window you want.
    I know this isn't a fix but this isn't a "basic functionality" of an "OS". If you double click on a file, it should open up in that gedit window already open.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by davidm84 View Post
    I think he means that if it (gedit) isn't "visible" i.e. hidden behind the file explorer he is trying to open the file from and he wants to drag it into gedit to then edit the file... I haven't tried that in windows but you can always drag it to the "bottom panel" over the window you want.
    I know this isn't a fix but this isn't a "basic functionality" of an "OS". If you double click on a file, it should open up in that gedit window already open.
    Hi,

Ya that is what I mean. Did you tried it in Windows. It works like a charm in Windows but not in Ubuntu.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kikloo View Post
    This is one of those reasons why people do not prefer Linux.
    Absolutely not.

I know people who've used Windows for years ~ even taken computer classes ~
    and don't know what Alt+Tab does.

I also know folks who have a hard enough time dragging and dropping such that
    dragging and Alt+Tab all at the same time would be a nightmare.

The more user-friendly way to achieve the same results is to leave both windows
    visible and simply drag and drop. The next best thing is to drag it down to the
    window list and that window will be brought to the foreground.

But as you have pointed out, dragging and Alt+Tab-ing simultaneously
    is not supported in Linux - at least not in Gnome for sure -
    and that is not a big deal: Linux is NOT Windows.
    Last edited by asmoore82; April 19th, 2010 at 04:04 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asmoore82 View Post
    Absolutely not.

I know people who've used Windows for years ~ even taken computer classes ~
    and don't know what Alt+Tab does.

I also know folks who have a hard enough time dragging and dropping such that
    dragging and Alt+Tab all at the same time would be a nightmare.

The more user-friendly way to achieve the same results is to leave both windows
    visible and simply drag and drop. The next best thing is to drag it down to the
    window list and that window will be brought to the foreground.

But as you have pointed out, dragging and Alt+Tab-ing simultaneously
    is not supported in Linux - at least not in Gnome for sure -
    and that is not a big deal: Linux is NOT Windows.
    Hi,

I am not going comment on someone's capabilities of what they can or cannot do. Anyways my point was that if Linux is trying to be Windows then lets do that properly.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by kikloo View Post
    Hi,
    if Linux is trying to be Windows then lets do that properly.
    Therein lies the root of your misunderstanding, Linux is NOT trying to be Windows (fortunately) - Linux is (very intentionally) being AN ALTERNATIVE TO Windows, YOU are trying to make Linux be Windows and that's a very different thing.

I strong recommend you read the "Linux is NOT Windows" article that asmoore82 referred you to, it might help you better understand why Linux is different.

If you want your pet to look like a cat, sound like a cat and behave like a cat... then buy a cat! Likewise, if you want your computer to look just like Windows, behave just like Windows, BSOD like Windows and cost like Windows, I suggest you install Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast