Thread: Absolute new user needing help

Beans

Absolute new user needing help

Hello,

I need a bit of help. I had Windows and Ubuntu 9.04 NBR running on my little Dell mini netbook. My grandson set it up for me. When it would start I got a menu that would let me choose betwen Windows or Ubuntu. I got a notice in updates that 9.10 was availible for update. I think I made a big mistake when I told it to update. When everything was done when I start the computer I get the menu, but when I click on the Ubuntu 9.10 I get this message " Boot fro (hd0,4) ext3 e0fb8e80-c64e-4f31-849b-f419ee6823ce
    Error 11: Unrecognized device string
    Press any key to continue...

It then goes back to the menu and if I click on Ubuntu it does the same thing again. The computer will boot into Windows though.
    Can I fix this without destroying the Windows program?
    I have only been using a computer for about 3 years and can get around using Windows, but I am not in any way proficient. I liked the Ubuntu NBR because it had the tabs that I could use for Internet and things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Absolute new user needing help

if you have installed ubuntu inside the window simply it is like a software for windows........
    so u can remove it from the control panel in the windows and then reinstall ubuntu again.......
    and ubuntu 9.10 is not compatible with some basic dell configurations like i m facing the problem in wireless conncetivity but 9.04 works is totally compatible with it and supports it fully.........so dont upgrade it again to 9.10
    use 9.04 and make jaunty HAPPIER
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans

just be careful and you will not delete windows.
    first, you will need one of those usb flash memory cards, or usb dongles, or whatever you like to call it. and unetbootin for windows. basically, you delete everything on the usb stick, plug it in, download jaunty ubuntu netbook remix. unetbootin will ask which iso you want to use. You select the ubuntu netbook remix iso. Reboot. press escape or whatever to boot into usb. Use gparted to delete your old messed up ubuntu partition (it will use the ext3 filesystem. Windows uses ntfs so you do not want to delete that) after its deleted, reinstall ubuntu netbook remix. Should work.

Beans

Thanks for replying to my call for help. At the age of 64 I've become a bit more cautious about what I do. I think I may take my netbook up to our local computer shop and see if they can fix it. I don't know what my grandson did or how he did the Ubuntu install so I'm quite a bit hesitant to do anything. I have items in Windows that I need, this is what makes me hesitant to do anything myself and making thins worse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

@LunaticHiatus
    yeah thats a gud option too
    @ thread creator
    plz if the problem is solved change the thread status to "SOLVED"
    hope it will help others too
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you get the sense that the computer shop guys don't know much about what your problem is you might be better off using windows until your grandson can reinstall/repair 9.04. If by computer shop you mean Bestbuy or Circuit City, don't bring it in at all and wait for your grandson.

I've been thinking about setting up my 86 year old grandmother with an ubuntu machine for a while now. I think ubuntu is less foreign sounding to computer-naive people than it is to windows users for some reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

yeah thats y ubuntu rocks
    IRON MAIDEN RULZZZZZZZZZ