Thread: Pidgin and Facebook

Beans

Question Pidgin and Facebook

Hi everyone. I know there's a plugin for FB in Pidgin, and I installed it, but it's not working. I'm getting the Captcha pop-up. I've read some things online and have found this link to get the latest version of the plugin, only I have no idea how to install it once I download it. There isn't enough newbie help on the web site to guide me. Can someone help?

http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-facebookchat/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Pidgin and Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Thrasonic View Post
    Hi everyone. I know there's a plugin for FB in Pidgin, and I installed it, but it's not working. I'm getting the Captcha pop-up. I've read some things online and have found this link to get the latest version of the plugin, only I have no idea how to install it once I download it. There isn't enough newbie help on the web site to guide me. Can someone help?

http://code.google.com/p/pidgin-facebookchat/
    Click on this link.
    http://pidgin-facebookchat.googlecod...kchat-1.64.deb, do not open, save it to a folder on your PC.

when it is downloaded, open it with GDebi package installer.

Once finished, it should work.
    I did have to disable the account first then re-enable (all on pidgin)

Hope this helps.
    Phil
    I'll never drink water again....Fish poo in it!
    XP for iTunes Only : Ubuntu10.04 : Crunchbang : DSL
    I'm Pushing Narcoleptic Numbat for ubuntu11.04
    Proper Funny Stuff

Beans

Excellent info Phil! It totally worked. So a .deb file is like a .exe in Windows apparently. I didn't know that or I wouldn't have asked for help on how to install it. Silly me. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Excellent info Phil! It totally worked. So a .deb file is like a .exe in Windows apparently. I didn't know that or I wouldn't have asked for help on how to install it. Silly me. Thanks.
    i'ved easy installed pidgin-facebook through sypnatic on ubuntu 9.04.
    Don't you think it disconnect every minute ? although better than FB via web.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Excellent info Phil! It totally worked. So a .deb file is like a .exe in Windows apparently.
    No, nothing like it, actually. A ".exe" is a Windows program. Every program on your Windows system is a ".exe". A ".deb" is not a program - it's a package that the system can use to install a program.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

Nah, more like a .msi file. Deb files are packages that install applications, including registering programs (although I suppose an .exe file can do this )

Beans

Okay, that makes sense to me. Thanks for the info.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Re: Pidgin and Facebook

Ok i know this is probably already been solved or maybe has no solution... but i run ubuntu 9.10 with pidgin 2.6.3 and the facebook plugin 1.60 -1.1 and when i try to log on i get a SSL handshake and get booted from facebooks webpage and not allowed to access the FB messenger through pidgin... i dont know if this is a resolved problem by the fix above but ive tried to re install the FB plugin and i still get the same issue. And i guess i could always just keep using facebook's website to message but it just seems pointless when i have all my other messengers on pidgin already. Thanx to anyone with a quick working solution to this little issue. i've seemed to hit a wall that i can't get around, guess id better find a sledge hammer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

why can't i just install it? there seems to be some dependency problem that i face all the time.