Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Optical drive not recognized in Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!

Optical drive not recognized in Ubuntu

I recently installed an SATA interface, Blu-ray optical drive. It is supposed to also function as ye olde basic CD-ROM/DVD/CD drive.

Ubuntu doesn't recognize it, at all. I don't expect it to read Blu-ray discs, but I do expect it to at least show up.

I've got a dual-boot Vista/Ubuntu 9.10 here. I had to tell the BIOS to enable SATA support, and after doing that the drive showed up in Vista and works fine, so I know it works, it's connected correctly, the BIOS is hopefully set correctly... no love from Ubuntu though.

Any suggestions?

Is this an issue with the optical drive itself? A driver issue? An SATA issue?

Thanks for any help!

-zami

Ubuntu 9.10
    Optical Drive : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-325-_-Product

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Optical drive not recognized in Ubuntu

This is actually a little concerning. I was going to get a Bluray burner to archive compressed video files (*.ogv as files, not as playable content on a bluray player)...I go through about 2TB of data a month and if this won't work I'm out of ideas and out of disk space. I admit this wasn't a great solution to begin with, but it's all I could think of.
    I may not be able to solve your problem, but I'll at least help you keep the thread alive for as long as it's relevant.

Can you post some information about your drive?

Copying and pasting lspci output from the terminal may be helpful.
    Vive la révolution!

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey speedkreature, thanks for the bump! I haven't had much time to wrestle with this drive, and probably wont for a few days, but I'll definitely post the solution if I figure this out.

Please don't be too discouraged by my problem, I'm 95% sure this is user ignorance!

lspci output
    Code:
    ~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Memory Controller Hub (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P Processor to AGP Controller (rev 02)
    00:03.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to PCI to CSA Bridge (rev 02)
    00:06.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82875P/E7210 Processor to I/O Memory Interface (rev 02)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev c2)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) IDE Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801EB (ICH5) SATA Controller (rev 02)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV670PRO [Radeon HD 3850]
    02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82547EI Gigabit Ethernet Controller
    03:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs CA0106 Soundblaster
    The blu-ray player is the only thing on my computer using an SATA interface... at least lspci notes *something* is there...

Still gladly taking suggestions.

-Laura

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by zami View Post
    The blu-ray player is the only thing on my computer using an SATA interface... at least lspci notes *something* is there...

Still gladly taking suggestions.

-Laura
    Who is the manufacturer?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyFeet View Post
    Who is the manufacturer?
    Sorry I wasn't clear in the first post, that Newegg link is to the the info page for the drive. (Actually, double checking I linked to the wrong one! Same model, but I bought 'retail' instead of 'OEM'.)

Problem Drive : LITE-ON , model iHOS104-08 , Retail
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106326

Motherboard : is an Intel Desktop Board D875PBZ
    CPU: 2, Pentium4 3GHz
    RAM: 2 GiB

I pulled two fans and the working normal CD-Rom drive to test if this was a power issue - it wasn't. Heh! Didn't hurt to try, right?

-zami

Beans

I am having the same issue. Before I read your post, I read other recent (~12/9/09) posts about this issue at launchpad.com, I think it was.

I also have a LiteOn IHOS104 blueray drive, connected to a SATA port on an ASUS P5N-D motherboard.

Ironically I can boot the Ubuntu 9.04 install CD using this drive, but the installation itself does not recognize the drive as IDE or SCSI...which is good, I suppose, as it isn't either of those, but bad in that it is a SATA

Also, I am having problems with the drive being detected by windows, I gather, because my system hangs when I attempt to boot windows (dual boot, w/ windows occupying primary partition)...well, it hangs randomly, but that's par for the course with windows. At least it hasn't been giving me BSODs since i updated the ASUS chipset driver (for windows).

Unfortunately, I do not believe this is a problem to ASUS, as they have yet to address it in a BIOS update...it's not listed as a bug fix, at any rate, in their list of BIOS updates.

Beans

I just thought of something else...but am not sure it is relevant, as I am not very knowledgable about SATA.

What I mean is, apparently (from something I read in its BIOS config., I gather) the P5N-D mobo uses an extended IDE interface for SATA...so maybe this is not true SATA, but some emulation, and this could be the problem?

Beans

I know this is not a Fedora forum, but it appears fedora has the same issue...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/fedora/+s...ux/+bug/344093

Beans
    Hidden!

Hey Petefox, thanks for sharing your detective work.

I still havn't solved the mystery here... I've pretty much given up. Though I would love to at least pinpoint the problem - drive? BIOS settings? SATA + Ubuntu? SATA+Linux? - because I need to get a drive that can read SD cards and need to know if I should avoid the SATA interface.

Did you ever get Windows to boot back up?

I might try a third partition and installing another Linux distro, since the Fedora link you gave hints that other versions and/or distros detect the drive just fine. I don't expect much but it's worth a try, even if just to help pinpoint the problem.

So. Shameless bump for each of us.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks!
    -zami

Beans

Hi I have this same problem with the drive Geforce 6100 motherboard but found that installing an older version of linux detected the drive fine. Mandriva 2007. installed kernel 2.6.17 and detected the drive this doesn't solve this issue but could help someone who is more experienced identify the changes between these two kernels? https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/344093

I will try and download Ubuntu 7.04 and see if it works on this or it is distro specific.
    Last edited by gaz2373; December 31st, 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: none

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast