Thread: Ubuntu vs Ubuntu Ultimate?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ubuntu vs Ubuntu Ultimate?

I was wondering what the difference was between just standard Ubuntu 9.10 and Ubuntu Ultimate 9.10. Is it what it comes with? Or speed?

Thanks,

Musick Man

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Ubuntu vs Ubuntu Ultimate?

Michael

Beans

Re: Ubuntu vs Ubuntu Ultimate?

I have used UE. It is not too bad. It is very bloated.

A couple of the scripts used are warned against by the Ubuntu devs as a threat to your system.

The repos that are for UE are not dependable.

The main thing that you get is different art work. You can get a bigger selection from "gnome looks" website with out the bloat of silly scripts that you will most likely not use and may damage your system.

There is also a lot of behind the scenes fighting on the UE forums. TheeMahn basically is running a cult. Fun if you are into that sort of thing.

I never had any real trouble with the OS except getting updates that had to come from the UE repo. That repo works great for a while and then it needs updated. That is when you can depend on a few days to a couple months down time.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN