Thread: Good Lightweight DE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Good Lightweight DE

So i took out an old laptop and installed minimal ubuntu just for fun. Now i kind of think having a desktop environment might be a bit more useful.

Given these specs:

Pentium 2 366MHz
    128MB RAM
    7GB HDD
    1x CD-ROM

What desktop environments can i install? Which would be the best idea for this ancient machine?

Beans

Re: Good Lightweight DE

You might want to try Puppy Linux.

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php...%20Release.htm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by LIB53 View Post
    So i took out an old laptop and installed minimal ubuntu just for fun. Now i kind of think having a desktop environment might be a bit more useful.

Given these specs:

Pentium 2 366MHz
    128MB RAM
    7GB HDD
    1x CD-ROM

What desktop environments can i install? Which would be the best idea for this ancient machine?
    You might try lxde, since you have the minimal installed but the puppy option will run much faster.
    http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puplets?show_comments=1

Beans

You could try the Haiku BeOS. I know it's not Linux, but it's a desktop environment that should run on those kind of specs. It is still in alpha, however, and can't set up its own partitions. So you'll need to use an Ubuntu Live CD or something to set up a bfs partition before running the Haiku Live CD.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Okay, I could find much out about "minimal ubuntu" on google -- do you mean an install with no X at all?

Just to get this straight -- the DE is not the Graphical User Interface. It is a top heavy component layer built on it.

You do not need any DE at all in order to run X windows. You pretty much do need a window manager -- witness, DE's have a window manager that they use. Like, the default WM for gnome is metacity. But metacity is built to work with a DE, I don't think it's much good on it's own.

Generally, "standalone" window managers run with much much fewer resources than a DE but they provide almost the same thing (menus, windows, taskbars, etc.) FVWM2 is a standalone window manager that provides a lot of functionality with no DE, there are more than a few others I think.
    Last edited by akashiraffee; December 7th, 2009 at 04:01 AM.
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Alright, i'm downloading puppy linux right now and when i installed LXDE (sudo apt-get install lxde) it installed but would freeze when it got to GDM. I was thinking about trying again though with fvwm crystal. Any insight on that?

And here you go for the minimal install info: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...20installation