Thread: Mythbuntu 9.10 - no sound

Beans

Mythbuntu 9.10 - no sound

I'm not absolutely new to Ubuntu, but pretty new. I have installed Ubuntu 9.10 on three machines so far, including a dual boot on my Pro-Spec Winbook system. I have recently added Mythbuntu to that machine, and have also tried installing the MythTV package within the Ubuntu install. In both cases I can not get audio output. I have searched the forums but have not been able to find a solution, so far.

Basic information:

The multimedia device is Conexant
    The Audio card is Intel (ICH6 famly)
    Processor is a Pentium 4
    RAM = 512mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 - no sound

I have the same problem. Recordings are OK but no sound upon replaying them. Audigy2 (SB0350) Audio card which works normally outside the mythbuntu frontend and conexent Hauppauge HVR1600 ATSC tuner card. This all worked fine with mythbuntu 8.10 and myth .21.

Looks like Mythbuntu 9.10 and .22 need a bit of tweaking. This is my third "show stopper" I've encountered after installing MB 9.10 and M.22. I'll report in here if I find something tomorrow.

Larry
    Last edited by LarryJ2; December 20th, 2009 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

In a terminal type

alsamixer

and make sure the levels are all the way up.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 - no sound(Solved for me at least)

For me, I went to the directory where the mythtv recordings are stored, which on my mythbuntu 9.10 is /var/lib/mythtv/recordings. There I found several .mpg files. I opened one with File-Open in the media player VLC. The sound played fine.

Next, I went back into MythFrontend setup and paged to the Audio System. There I selected ALSA:default, Default, Stereo, and Passive and unchecked the three lines at the bottom of the page. On the next page, Audio Mixer, I selected ALSA:default Master and moved the PCM/Master sliders all the way to the right. Independedn Muting was unchecked.

From then on, I had audio in the Mythbuntu frontend. Since I have a set of 5.1 speakers, I believe I had selected 5.1 in the channel selection. Anyway, with all the other problems with MB9.10 / .22, I'm happy with stereo for now.
    Last edited by LarryJ2; December 20th, 2009 at 01:49 PM.

Beans

hey i've got the same problems. i just tried both of those suggestions and neither of them helped at all. any more suggestions? please

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Mythbuntu 9.10 - no sound Reinstalled Sound OK

For the record, my idea that selecting 5.1 audio caused the lack of sound was wrong. I reformatted and reinstalled (about the 7th time I've done this) and now I have sound with 5.1 selected. Maybe the fact that I had installed using 64 bit amd iso was the culprit? This seems unlikely but that was a difference between sound and no sound installs.

Now to find out why my s-video fed HVR1600 mpeg encoder is pumping out an off red picture. At least the sound out of /dev/video0 is OK.

LJ
    Last edited by LarryJ2; December 22nd, 2009 at 02:24 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RedSingularity View Post
    In a terminal type

alsamixer

This helped in my case.
    THANKS!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by RedSingularity View Post
    In a terminal type

alsamixer

This one fixes my problem but the problem returns after reboot and I have to do it again and again.
    Any ideas to solve it permanently?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

See the little sound icon in the corner of your screen? Right click it and choose "open volume control".

Change the settings there and see if it sticks.
    My Launchpad
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Wiki Page