Thread: Cairo-dock with OpenGL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Cairo-dock with OpenGL

I wouldn't mind running Cairo-Dock under OpenGL, but if I do certain icons disappear & so does the Cairo-Clock that I have on the desktop. It could be down to the graphics card that I am running. NVidia Geforce4 MX440.
    I have attached a screen shot to show what I mean.
    Cairo-dock runs fine if I do not use OpenGL. Any ideas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Registered Linux user #475388
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Re: Cairo-dock with OpenGL

Any ideas?
    Using Various flavours of Linux: Ubuntu 10.04, Linux Mint 6, Mandriva, OpenSuse.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No answer for you Kestrel 1 but I've been using Cairo for a while now and like it a lot!

I don't use OpenGL, I don't want or need the extra graphical effects. I find the dock is quick and efficient as it is.
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

This is true. I like the dock, so if I can't find a solution I will still use it.
    Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hello,

if you use cairo-dock with openGL, you can monitor your pc and see how much cpu it costs. Since this card is old enough, I guess that your pc is old enough as well. So in order to support such a feature it takes a lot of resources. In other words: I do not think that this card and this pc is capable enough to "hold" cairo with opengl.

I have heard that for new systems this is consuming as well. Yet, you never know. If you find something, let us know.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As an addition to my original comment.

I have the Cairo System Monitor running in the dock WITHOUT OpenGL. Looking at it as I'm typing this message, the CPU is running between 0.5% and 3.2% so the overhead is low with Fire Fox open. If I run the cursor up and down the dock a few times....

1) Just because I can!

2) Just because it looks cool!

CPU utilisation will go up to about 45% for a second or two. Loading FF will take the CPU up to about 50% but my average idle time while browsing is normally way less than 10%.

That's on Karmic 9.10 with the Mac4Lin theme installed as shown in the screen shot below. Note CPU rose to 22% whilst doing the snap shot!

I'm also connected to Mobile Broadband, via Bluetooth and my Nokia Navigator mobile phone....why pay £15 per month for a "dongle"!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alan

Saddleworth, Manchester (UK).

Beans

I have seen this a couple of times with cairo. Out of the 30 or so installs it has always been with a video card with low amounts of RAM.

Beans

I think that a GeForce4 is too old to run GLX-dock.
    not because it uses a lot the graphic card, but because the NVidia drivers for this card don't support OpenGL correctly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome

Thanks, I did think that might be the case. I will have to wait until I can afford a better rig then.