Thread: "thread starter" or "original poster" labels possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

"thread starter" or "original poster" labels possible?

i was wondering if it is possible for this forum to show something like "thread starter" or "original poster" next to the thread starters name when they reply in their own thread?

it would be helpful in cases where someone asks a support question, a few people answer, THEN a RANDOM person comes in and says "thanks that solved it" and everyone thought that was from the OP (i forget names) and doesnt answer anymore, not knowing that the solutions didnt actually help the OP and they are still having the issue.

sorry for the run-on sentence

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "thread starter" or "original poster" labels possible?

Quote Originally Posted by alienclone View Post
    i was wondering if it is possible for this forum to show something like "thread starter" or "original poster" next to the thread starters name when they reply in their own thread?

it would be helpful in cases where someone asks a support question, a few people answer, THEN a RANDOM person comes in and says "thanks that solved it" and everyone thought that was from the OP (i forget names) and doesnt answer anymore, not knowing that the solutions didnt actually help the OP and they are still having the issue.

sorry for the run-on sentence
    I really don't see that as being necessary. I'm assuming that most people have it configured so that they automatically subscribe to any thread they post in, in which case all that's required is for the OP to post a "well, I'm still having problems" message, and the next time you check your User CP the thread will be there.

(See, you don't have a monopoly on run-on sentences. )

Note that I don't see a problem with having such a thing - I just don't think it's all the necessary.

Lloyd B.
    Don't tell me to get a life.
    I had one once.
    It sucked.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_b View Post
    I really don't see that as being necessary. I'm assuming that most people have it configured so that they automatically subscribe to any thread they post in, in which case all that's required is for the OP to post a "well, I'm still having problems" message, and the next time you check your User CP the thread will be there.

(See, you don't have a monopoly on run-on sentences. )

Note that I don't see a problem with having such a thing - I just don't think it's all the necessary.

Lloyd B.
    you have a good point, it would probably be easier for me to change instead of trying to change the forum.

i jump the gun and delete support subscriptions when i think they are solved (neat freak), maybe i should hold them a while longer just in case.

but it would also help in the regular community boards, for me atleast, cuz i like to follow other peoples conversations and sometimes join in, and i find myself constantly jumping back to the first page of a 12 page discussion to refresh my memory of who the OP was or else i get comfuzed , then have to remember which page i was on and get even more comfuzed. (yes i get comfuzed easily)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

LQ.org flags Original Poster posts - Would be great to see an Original Poster note here too.
    to refresh my memory of who the OP was or else i get comfuzed
    +1
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ