Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Fix] Karmic: Automaticly unmount CIFS shares at shutdown & restart with no errors!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Fix] Karmic: Automaticly unmount CIFS shares at shutdown & restart with no error

I just wanted to say thanks to Ian Ferguson for describing the problem and pointing me to the solution here, ubradford for figuring out a solution which has been annoying me for months, and stevo1982 for the password fix. My Ubuntu 10.04 install now reboots and shuts down cleanly and immediately!

I do have a different problem now though: none of my CIFS mounted Windows shares listed in fstab are being mounted at startup anymore. If I manually run mount -a they all mount fine. Any ideas why that may have changed?

Nate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [Fix] Karmic: Automaticly unmount CIFS shares at shutdown & restart with no error

Quote Originally Posted by in8sworld View Post
    I do have a different problem now though: none of my CIFS mounted Windows shares listed in fstab are being mounted at startup anymore. If I manually run mount -a they all mount fine. Any ideas why that may have changed?
    Everything came up fine this morning, so... never mind

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Asus 1005HA CPU:N280 HDD:160G RAM:2G Ubuntu 10.04 and/or Mint 9

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Beans

Re: [Fix] Karmic: Automatical unmount CIFS shares at shutdown & restart with no error

Hi

Sorry to butt into an old thread - especially as I am a complete noob! Found this thread linked to in another thread I was reading...

Perhaps someone could correct me, if I am wrong, but couldn't a simple Upstart script provide a more elegant solution to this problem that applies to all more recent Ubuntu (>=10.04??) flavours (Xubuntu, LXDE, Kubuntu, etc.)??

I'm (theoretically ) a big fan of the Upstart model - since it allows service dependencies to be expressed (so startup and shutdown can be asynchronous).

Any comments?

Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Just a note to say that I recently found myself with my RAM almost filled, and after a long puzzling period discovered multiple orphan copies of the 'save yourself' "ShutdownCIFS" unmount script in my task list, each claiming around 6Mb....

After killing off a couple hundred of these poor wee orphans, my memory situation (and performance) is fully restored.

The script would seem to be unsatisfied because the external FS is at times not mounted because the server running it isn't online.

If anyone knows contact details for Seamus Phelan, the script's author, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Salaaaams
    ed

Also have decrepit Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D 1845 [now half-bricked by upgrade ]
    知 者 不 言。言 者 不 知。

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123