Thread: XFCE Systray and Pidgin

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

XFCE Systray and Pidgin

So...I can't get pidgin to go to the system tray, I added notification area, which I assume is the tray item...as there is no plugin called system tray or tray or such.

How cna I make Pidgin go to th tray?
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: XFCE Systray and Pidgin

You are right, "Notification Area" is the XFCE system tray. If you right click the notification area and go to properties, there is a list of "hidden applications". My first guess is to ensure that Pidgin is not checked in this list.

My only other thought is within Pidgin. Go to Tools -> Preferences and in the Interface tab, make sure that "Show system tray icon" is set to always.

If neither of those are the case, I've no idea.

HTH
    Desktop: Phenom 955 BE | GA-MA790XT-UD4P | 8GB TG Elite 1600 | BFG GTX 275
    Conky Screenshots | Last.fm | New to Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by m_duck View Post
    You are right, "Notification Area" is the XFCE system tray. If you right click the notification area and go to properties, there is a list of "hidden applications". My first guess is to ensure that Pidgin is not checked in this list.

My only other thought is within Pidgin. Go to Tools -> Preferences and in the Interface tab, make sure that "Show system tray icon" is set to always.

If neither of those are the case, I've no idea.

HTH
    It was pidgin. Thanks...odd...never had to do that for gnome to put it in the tray.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans

Thank You m_duck!
    That worked for me..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    It was pidgin. Thanks...odd...never had to do that for gnome to put it in the tray.
    Gnome is tied with pidgin more closely, so pidgin has its own icon outside the sys tray in gnome. So if you had allowed the systray in pidgin, you would have seen two pidgin icons.