Thread: Skype, Unable to hear other person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Skype, Unable to hear other person.

On skype static, I cannot hear the other person, my volume works fine and i can hear other things, Can anybody help me? (they can hear me)
    In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all, And in the darkness bind them,In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Skype, Unable to hear other person.

It might not be your fault. If you can hear other things it's likely the person at the other end has to set up their microphone. Ask them to do a test call using Skype's call testing service. It probably won't hurt for you to do a quick check with Skype's call testing service either.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Distro

They can be heard by other people, i cannot even hear the test call person/bot.
    In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie,One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,One Ring to bring them all, And in the darkness bind them,In the land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You might want to tinker with Skype's options and choose a different playback device. They can be accessed by right-clicking on the Skype icon then "options"
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1. Make sure your audio settings are all "pulseaudio", then make test sound and test call.

2. You may try skype from Medibuntu repository since it solves problems with camera which are present in skype from official skype.com website.

Beans
    Distro

The option was the wrong one, Thank you!

Beans
    Distro

When i tried to call my friend this morning, i got the same problem, he can talk to others fine, i cannot hear him though. the options are exactly the same as last night, when i was talking to him fine, and hadnt changed a single setting.

Beans
    Distro

Can anyone help me? I really would like to talk to my friends, as they live in different states/countrys.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

1. Double check audio settings in skype. All should be pulseaudio.

2. Check your sound settings (System > Preferences > Sound). Pay attention to "Hardware" tab: under "Profiles" you should make sure to pick the correct profile (if there are many of them, you'll have to try one by one and see which works; generally, you should use the one that has "input" and "output" in its name, e.g., "Analog Surround 7.1 Output + Analog Stereo Input). Then check your microphone (tab "Input" in "Sound preferences"; NOTE: you may not actually hear your voice, just pay attention to input level metter: it will show if microphone works). If microphone works and you can hear audio from any audio player, (re)start skype and do a test call.
    Last edited by meho_r; December 7th, 2009 at 02:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

There is a bug with Skype and Pulse Audio that hasn't been worked out yet, hence the "Beta" in the name of the latest version out. I tried this version a while ago and had to revert to the previous because I couldn't hear anything, and all they could hear was a loud static noise.

Recently, medibuntu updated their repositories and I found it upgraded my copy of Skype to the version I tried to avoid a month or two earlier. To revert this time, I did the following:

In terminal:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove skype skype-common
    Then, download these two files:

http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/n...untu4_i386.deb

http://packages.medibuntu.org/pool/n...buntu4_all.deb

Install the "skype-common" deb file first by double-clicking on it after it's downloaded. Then do the same thing with the skype deb package.

That should install skype, 2.0.0.72. I got a "break" error when I did this, but ignored it and found Skype worked.

The last thing you'll want to do is open System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager, search for "skype", click on the name then click (at the top) Package>Lock Version. This will prevent it from updating to the next version.