Thread: Setting up Emerald in Karmic

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Setting up Emerald in Karmic

I'm very new to Ubuntu (about 5 days in) and I'm just figuring out how different programs work together.

Anyways, I wanted a sweet new look for my desktop and found the Emerald program. I installed it, but when I try to run the program the terminal sends me this error.
    Code:
    paul@skeeter:~$ emerald
    emerald: Screen 1 on display ":0.1" already has a decoration manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current decoration manager.
    I've tried using:
    Code:
    paul@skeeter:~$ emerald --replace &
    With no luck.

I also went to System -> Preferences -> Startup Applications, clicked add and typed emerald --replace

I can go into the Emerald Themer and view the theme I want, but nothing happens.

What do?
    Last edited by bunk3rk1ng; December 4th, 2009 at 07:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Setting up Emerald in Karmic

Install Compiz, then open the CompizConfig Settings Manager. In the 'Filter' field, type "Window Decoration", then click the 'Window Decoration' icon in the right pane. Look for the 'Command' field and type:

Code:
    emerald --replace
    Restart the X server and you should be good to go.
    “You tried your best and failed miserably. The lesson is: never try.” --Homer Simpson

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Setting up Emerald in Karmic

Quote Originally Posted by chrisinspace View Post
    Install Compiz, then open the CompizConfig Settings Manager. In the 'Filter' field, type "Window Decoration", then click the 'Window Decoration' icon in the right pane. Look for the 'Command' field and type:

Code:
    emerald --replace
    Restart the X server and you should be good to go.
    Thanks for the reply.

For those really new to Ubuntu (karmic koala) like me. Compiz is already installed. But the compiz config settings manager is not. So you have to download it.

I used:
    sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager
    Then follow chrisinspace's directions after that.

Cheers