Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.10 Freezes when Laptop Lid Closed

Beans

Ubuntu 9.10 Freezes when Laptop Lid Closed

I am have been trying to search on this forum on how to resolve and issue with ubuntu 9.10 when I closed my laptop lid and then reopen it the computers freezes and the screen goes black and the mouse and keyboard are frozen I have seen other threads were people have had the same issue has anyone figured out how to solve this issue? it is very very annoying

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 9.10 Freezes when Laptop Lid Closed

What is the setting for your laptop when the lid is closed? You can find that in the power management utility. If it is for suspend, what happens if you use "suspend" manually? If you have the same problem you will need to find out why that is happening. I have that problem on my old acer laptop which will never come out of suspend, so I set the screen to just blank when the lid is closed, rather than suspend. Not as good for power saving but better than nothing.

Beans

well I took a look at power management and it was set to suspend but i have changed it to go blank when I closed the lid and I have the same results but I when I load ubuntu 9.04 i do not have the same issue the laptop lid closes fine.

Beans
    Hidden!

So what happens when you suspend manually? Do you get back to a proper desktop?

Beans

when I suspend manually it actually goes into suspend mode and it comes back fine.

Beans

I found out that the problem is kernel mode setting. You may disable
    it by passing nomodeset as a kernel option.

Beans

ok kool can you let me know how to disable the passing of the nomodeset as a kernel option? Thx for your help

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vdbergh View Post
    I found out that the problem is kernel mode setting. You may disable
    it by passing nomodeset as a kernel option.
    ok kool can you let me know how to disable the passing of the nomodeset as a kernel option? Thx for your help

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by VeGeTa-X View Post
    this was pissing me off for quite some time;
    same thing, 9.04 works good; 910 freezes nomatter what the power management settings are.
    my laptop is a dell latitude d505

anyway i'm not sure this is the most elegant way to add this setting but essentially all you do is

Code:
    sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    your looking for the first uncommented "kernel" line
    at this point mine looks like this:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=b9ad83fd-77c0-4834-bdcb-29d632f38e47 ro quiet splash
    appened nomodeset as follows:

Code:
    kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31-16-generic root=UUID=b9ad83fd-77c0-4834-bdcb-29d632f38e47 ro quiet splash nomodeset
    save,reboot,and you are good
    (don't copy and paste my example; uuid is somewhat unique)

this likely doesn't stick through kernel upgrades. also, this setting relates to the new intel graphics stack i assume - and as such i don't knoww hat the true ramifications of this setting might be yet, does anyone have a good link for detail on exactly what nomodeset does? thus far i've not found good clear info.

Beans
    Hidden!

a little more googling on nomodeset makes me thing it completely disables the fresh intel stack? that kinda sucks

but haven't seen definitive explanation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast