Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anti-virus

Beans

Anti-virus

I've been thinking about this what is the point of anti-virus? If virus spread by eather a hole in the software or a admin(root) running it, why do we have anti-virus? If you fix the holes and make users non-root (*cough*sudo*cough*) the why the !@#$ is microsoft makeing a anti-virus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Anti-virus

It is easy enough to say 'Fix all the holes' but Windows (and any other OS for that matter) is such a huge database of code to sift through it would take thousands of years to fix every single possible security hole.

Also, just because you don't have root access doesn't mean you can't get a virus. It just means that only your /home/user directory would get trashed, not the entire system under /

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks
    I've been thinking about this what is the point of anti-virus? If virus spread by eather a hole in the software or a admin(root) running it, why do we have anti-virus? If you fix the holes and make users non-root (*cough*sudo*cough*) the why the !@#$ is microsoft makeing a anti-virus?
    AV is good as a last line of defense and for determining/cleaning infections. Most users however seem to think of it as a proactive security measure, which it clearly isn't.

A recent study showed that fast moving virusses had at least 8 hours before the first signatures where out, that could be a lot of owned machines.

Not running as root/admin is good, a firewall is good, stack protection and non-executable memory and partitions are real defenses.
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

It is easy enough to say 'Fix all the holes' but Windows (and any other OS for that matter) is such a huge database of code to sift through it would take thousands of years to fix every single possible security hole.
    Just fix the hole the virus expoilts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by bjweeks
    Just fix the hole the virus expoilts
    You can't fix the hole until you know it is there. You usually don't know that until it has been exploited. So now what do you do? You have potentially millions of copies of this software out there. How do you let everyone know that they need to update/upgrade? How do you even know who has the software? What you are saying is just not feasible.

A good protion of software designers do fix the holes - in future versions after the hole has been found. That does nothing for the software already out there.

So anti-virus companies are notified, or discover it themselves. Virus signatures are updated, and systems are protected. Assuming that is, that people run an anti-virus and keep signatures updated.

There really is no other feasible way to limit the damage of a virus that is already out there.

If software designers new about the hole, before it was infected, it would not be there to begin with. They are generally not there on purpose.
    Registered Linux user #386230 - Get Counted

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

on this subject how do i install avg on ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

the fact that the original question in this thread even had to be asked, gave me a headache.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by briancurtin
    the fact that the original question in this thread even had to be asked, gave me a headache.
    It was a reasonable question.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Why are they making an anti-virus? I can think of three choices for them.

1) Put a lot of time and effort into cleaning up their entire operating system. This would take forever to do thoroughly.

2) Launch a new anti-virus program that would be much faster to produce, and conveniently gives them a new source of income. A subscription product, no less. Those are all the rage nowadays.

3) Do nothing. Let the current anti-virus market continue, miss opportunity.

Of course, the 2nd option presents a huge conflict of interest. If a new virus is discovered that exploits a technical flaw, do they fix the flaw first, or release an update to their antivirus? I would not put it past Microsoft to do this as an incentive for more users to buy their protection.

As far as I can tell, that's what it amounts to. Now you can pay Microsoft protection money to keep your computer safe, instead of Norton or McAfee.
    Last edited by GreyFox503; February 23rd, 2006 at 05:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Of course, the 2nd option presents a huge conflict of interest. If a new virus is discovered that exploits a technical flaw, do they fix the flaw first, or release an update to their antivirus? I would not put it past Microsoft to do this as an incentive for more users to buy their protection.
    I don't think it has to be an either/or type of deal. It's much easier (and faster) to release a signature file that will stop the virus than it is to code a patch. So the first thing out will be a signature of the virus to stop it's spread while the patch is being created. It's not a bad idea especially since the update mechanisms are already in place making it easier for users. You got MS Update now that will update all of the MS software on your system at the same time (or so they say). I can also see an A/V from MS to be faster than 3rd party ones since they know the OS inside out.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast