Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: /dev/sr0 problem on USB

Beans

Wink Re: /dev/sr0 problem on USB

Originally Posted by SigiSi View Post
    Disable floppy or. floppy controler in BIOS (if you don't have a floppy drive).

Tks,,,,Obrigado,,,,,,realmente foi só desabilitar o Floppy na BIOS e tudo rodou lindo e maravilhoso, no Linux KDuXPv1.98......disponha quando precisar também........

atenciosamente.....

SuporteTecnicoID

Beans

Re: /dev/sr0 problem on USB

Quote Originally Posted by SigiSi View Post
    Disable floppy or. floppy controler in BIOS (if you don't have a floppy drive).
    Worked for me as well. Many Thanks!

Beans

I'm getting this error as well with Ubuntu 10.10.

I used UNetbootin to create the USB install (since the one that comes in the 10.10 iso image doesn't work - you select the .iso and it won't show up in the list), and during the init it just sits in a "can't open /dev/sr0" loop. Eventually it leads to the "unable to find a medium containing a live file system"

I don't have an option to disable a floppy in my BIOS. I'm using a newer Dell laptop with i7.

Is there a real workaround for this other than disabling the floppy in the BIOS? I've read a ton of other threads on this very problem, and most are saying it's a casper init issue.

Another pointed me to editing the loopback.cfg in grub to point to the actual iso file, so I have "iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu.iso", but still no go.

I'd try an actual install disc but don't have any blanks on me... figured the USB install would be just fine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My laptop, I can safely say is "Special". I received my HP Pavillion DV9000 first with Vista on it, after 3 years of torture I installed Linux Mint onto it. Was awesome, no probs till about 1/2 a year in or so. Linux Mint died, all I remember was that the error had to do with a Kernel. Anyways, so later on I install Ubuntu. Again, was working fine for several months until it started to get glitchy. Every so often, it would not boot and give me a random error message every time, but then on other boots it would work. So now I am at the point where my laptop completely died, and I messed it up because my friends dont know how to give me the DESKTOP version of Ubuntu and not the Server -_-.

Anyways, I am currently at somewhat of a similar spot as everyone who has read the forum this far: Ubuntu wont get past its boot logo, and the code its giving me (for some reason, it displays some sort of log when I press my 'mute' key) is:
    Code:
    Killed
    stdin: error 0
    /init: line 7: can't open /dev/sr0: No medium found
    unable to open '/dev/sda'
    and it repeats, a new chunk of the above code every time I re-enter into the log thing.

I tried fixing it by editing the boot code, and disabling the floppy boot option.

Any other idea's?

Beans

I had same problem, after that i found that i am connected with usb 3 port(blue ), after changed the norma usb port it worked form me.

Beans

Hi

Relaunching the topic... I have exactly the same issue with Ubuntu 11.4 and Casper.

Sol A grub options: just appending it doe snot work... seems that it is not working for persistent version At once could boot but mouse did not move... see:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...or/+bug/492301

SOL B, BIOS: did not find how to disable floppy on BIOS of Dell Latitutd E6400...

Any idea?

Thanks!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by novebeta View Post
    try to remove this option
    Code:
    file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed
    and add this option
    Code:
    live-media-path=/casper/
    and add this option (to prevent the boot from hanging with infinite "stdin: Error 0" outputs)
    Code:
    ignore_uuid
    full sample
    Code:
    kernel /casper/vmlinuz
    append boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz live-media-path=/casper/ quiet splash ignore_uuid --
    this work for me...
    Well guys I'm having this problem in this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12554758

let's see if someone else can help, let me ask you something by the way, how do you put this code in ISO file...? I've cheked this one ubuntu-12.10-desktop-amd64, and I don't know where to put it exactly...

Beans

Hi guys.

Just thought I'd drop a note coming from Linux Mint (essentially Ubuntu), Fedora, and Archbang.

For booting into a Live Mint environment off USB, my problem was that I was being too impatient. I thought it was broke, but actually needed about a minute and a second to boot.

Try adding
    Code:
    cdrom-detect/try-usb=true
    as a kernel boot parameter. It makes it wait for USB devices to be noticed if no CD drive is found. Should help with
    I did not need "live-media-path" and did not need to remove "file=...". It didn't even need "cdrom-detect/try-usb=true" in my case, but, in general, I think the parameter helps for booting live USB environments.

For Fedora's installer I do:

Code:
    linux /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-7.fc16.x86_64 root=UUID=[UUID of filesystem on USB drive] rootfstype=auto ro liveimg quiet  rhgb rd.luks=0 rd.md=0 rd.dm=0
    initrd /LiveOS/initrd0.img
    And for Archbang's installer I do:
    Code:
    linux /arch/boot/x86_64/vmlinuz archisobasedir=arch archisolabel=ArchBang64
    initrd /arch/boot/x86_64/archiso.img
    Hope that helps,
    Jake
    Last edited by SpawnHappyJake; July 13th, 2013 at 06:21 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123