Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Google Public DNS

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Google Public DNS

Google just posted something interesting in their Offical Google Blog.

"Introducing Google Public DNS". The article explains quite simply what Google is doing, that is launching their own public DNS resolver.

They provide easy instructions to change your current DNS settings to the one's provided by Google. Being Google they even provide instructions for linux and ubuntu!!

The DNS IP Addresses are:

If you don't want to open the link the steps to change your DNS in ubuntu are as follows:

1. Back up /etc/resolv.conf:
    Code:
    sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.auto
    2. Edit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
    NB: the instructions to change the DNS to the Google Public DNS in ubuntu suggests editing the file "/etc/dhcp3/dhcpclient.conf". In Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic) I have not been able to find this file, however, other posts suggests editing the file: "/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf".

3. If there is a line containing domain-name-servers, write down the IP addresses for future reference.

4. Replace that line with, or add, the following line:
    Code:
    prepend domain-name-servers 8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4;
    5. Save and exit.

6. Restart any Internet clients you are using.

7. To test just go to any website (www.google.com). If it does not work check out the "testing your settings" section in the instructions.

After running a few quick tests the speed is really really fast. I never realised changing the DNS could make such a huge difference! It also corrects errors such as www.wikipedia.com to www.wikipedia.org (although most browsers do this anyway).

Only concern really is the big one about privacy. I'm not overly familiar with how the DNS system works so I cannot comment on whether my changing my ISP given DNS to Google's means they can literally watch every website I go to.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by abhiroopb; December 3rd, 2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: Changes to instructions

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Google Public DNS

Google: all your DNS are belong to us.

(Would make a motivator, but I'm lazy.)
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

well played!

Beans
    Hidden!

Only concern really is the big one about privacy. I'm not overly familiar with how the DNS system works so I cannot comment on whether my changing my ISP given DNS to Google's means they can literally watch every website I go to.
    you betcha they can.
    but really anything you do on the web is tracked or trackable.
    any nefarious or raunchy site has your ip address, time of visit, what you did, etc...
    all the emails you send, someone else can read. you are an open book.

so if you download illegal movies, your isp knows you went there. I wonder if someday they will block sites to sanitize the web.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bachstelze View Post
    Google: all your DNS are belong to us.

(Would make a motivator, but I'm lazy.)
    This is no lie.

Sorry Goog, you just made a line that I'm not crossing
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Their privacy policy regarding the Google Public DNS says that nothing is actually collected or stored (but who knows!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abhiroopb View Post
    After running a few quick tests the speed is really really fast. I never realised changing the DNS could make such a huge difference! It also corrects errors such as www.wikipedia.com to www.wikipedia.org (although most browsers do this anyway).

Thoughts?
    I use the OpenDNS servers, and have been ever since the 2007 AT&T weekend DNS meltdown. They work way faster than the other DNS servers I've seen.
    The views expressed in this post belong to Tristam Green and do not represent the views of any other entity, foreign or domestic, as long as you both shall live, Amen.
    OMG! Cheesecake! | Fuduntu - catch the fever!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tristam Green View Post
    I use the OpenDNS servers, and have been ever since the 2007 AT&T weekend DNS meltdown. They work way faster than the other DNS servers I've seen.
    So do I. Has anybody noticed any speed diff between the Google & OpenDNS servers?
    The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

SWEET! Thanks for the info abhiroopb.

I am forever having to call ISP's to get their DNS servers to set up users static IP's

And now many ISP's are very reluctant to give out this info...their like "you need to use DHCP-why do you need our DNS numbers"

This makes my job a bit easier.

Edit: they seem damn fast so far.
    FIC K8-800T AMD64 3200+ 2GB PC3200 GeForce 6800GT Mandriva 2010 KDE+Compiz+Emerald
    MSI K9N2GM AMD 9950BE 4GB DDR2-800 GeForce 8200 10.10 WUSB600N
    Acer 6920 Core 2 Duo 4GB GeForce 9500GS 10.04 Ubuntu User #17586

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Glad to help.

Although, like many others mentioned OpenDNS has been around for quite a while. Never used it myself!

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast