Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a solid ergonomic keyboard

Beans

Re: Looking for a solid ergonomic keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by koleoptero View Post
    Tell us how it goes, I'm interested in this myself for when I buy a desktop.
    I'll report back in a week or so when it arrives (ordered from Amazon for $33. I can't believe best buy has the nerve to sell this exact same keyboard for $70!)

Beans

Well everyone, the keyboard came today, and I must admit, it is extremely comfortable. However, I am having the same issues with the spacebar being abnormally hard to depress. It's a flaw in the design. The spacebar is too big and oddly shaped that it doesnt like to go down easily, so if you push down and forward even the slightest bit, it catches on the row above it and doesnt move. The only way to get it to go down easy is to press it directly in the center, which is not very ideal nor comfortable. If you press it in the corner, the plastic just flexes and the bar doesnt depress at all.

Oh well, guess I'll have to send it back. It's a shame too because the keyboard is near flawless in every other way.

I don't know why they don't just split the spacebar in two. It would make much more sense.

Beans

I have had this keyboard for about 8 months now I think.. and still can't hit the damn keys.. it looks cool and has all the extra nice stuff,
    but the keys are like on a laptop keyboard

Won't recommend it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Exershio View Post
    I went to best buy and tried out the Microsoft 4000 one, and I must admit I love the way it feels. I don't really like the way some of the keys are shaped though (some keys are bigger than others for some reason), but I'm probably just nitpicking. I would probably spring for that keyboard right now if it werent for all the complaints about keys randomly breaking and the space bar being crappy quality.

I also tried out the logitech wave keyboard, but I didn't really like the way the keys felt (especially the F1-12 buttons, they were horribly stiff and clicky.)

I'm still open for suggestions
    I had one of the orginal ones very simular to the 4000 many years ago. I helped with the pain but seem strange when typing on it. I will have to admit tho, if I could get a 4000 with back lit keys I would get one in a heartbeat.
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aktiwers View Post
    I have had this keyboard for about 8 months now I think.. and still can't hit the damn keys.. it looks cool and has all the extra nice stuff,
    but the keys are like on a laptop keyboard

Won't recommend it

I got the original model myself. It types great, but its not ergo like the OP asked about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I've wondered if you could cut up one or two same-model keyboards and create something like Kinesis Freestyle. I bought the boards but I haven't gotten around to any testing yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I tried, and by tried I mean I did a half a**ed google search, and by half a**ed google search I mean I typed "eread pdg"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by alphaniner View Post
    I've wondered if you could cut up one or two same-model keyboards and create something like Kinesis Freestyle. I bought the boards but I haven't gotten around to any testing yet.
    Highly doubt it unless your extremely skilled at soldering and lucky. Most all I have ever seen have a solid PCB under the keys. Most modern ones have a molded rubber(ish) pad between the keys and the PCB, its what pushes the keys back up and also on the bottom side of the pad it has a soft conductive material (possibly graphite based) that stamps on the PCB when the key is pressed. Thus closing the loop and sending a signal that the key was pressed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
    Highly doubt it unless your extremely skilled at soldering and lucky. Most all I have ever seen have a solid PCB under the keys. Most modern ones have a molded rubber(ish) pad between the keys and the PCB, its what pushes the keys back up and also on the bottom side of the pad it has a soft conductive material (possibly graphite based) that stamps on the PCB when the key is pressed. Thus closing the loop and sending a signal that the key was pressed.
    If it were PCBs it would be easy. I've seen it done with PCB keyboards. Modern keyboards have a plastic sheet similar to this. I've consulted a few electronics gurus who say it should be possible, the main concerns being resistance and latency.
    Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    I tried, and by tried I mean I did a half a**ed google search, and by half a**ed google search I mean I typed "eread pdg"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I've used a Microsoft ergonomic keyboard for years, I'm typing this on it now.

It's the only thing from Microsoft I'd actually recommend !!

I've spilt beer in it and cookie crumbs, coffee etc. Just lift the lid off it, pull the membrane off and wash it in warm soapy water.

I dunno what model this is as I've had it for about ten years.

Here's a SERIOUSLY old screengrab that has my keyboard in it.
    http://www.upload3r.com/serve/301109/1259576978.jpg
    Last edited by Swagman; December 9th, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I bought an IBM 89P8837 enhanced performance keyboard. It's very nice to type on, but I'm not a massively heavy typer.

As far as I understood, the best was meant to be the old clicky keyboards.

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/

As mentioned above.

All best,

Duncan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast