Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about a site.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thinking about a site.

I love Ubuntu, I love GNU, I do, I really do. I am thinking about starting a new website called MyGNUWorld.org or MyGNUWorld.com . I have purchased the domain name and thinking about doing something with it and will certainly be promoting Ubuntu on the site. Not sure what all I am planning on doing with it. Figured I would throw it out and see what people thought about it. So... What do you think? I am thinking the #1 response will be, "There are enough Linux sites already!"
    I like mac?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Thinking about a site.

well what do YOU want to get out of it?

i dont really know what would be housed at a "mygnuworld.com" site

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Id join if its joinable.

Beans
    Hidden!

Well, I want to promote Open Source and GNU, GPL that is for sure. I would like to have How-To's on switching to Linux and attempting to "free" people of CS if possible. I understand currently that there are certain applications that just have to have windows. I run Windows via VM for some applications, however, I would love to be able to throw my Windows CD in the garbage. I want the site to be a community site, a collaberative effort from the get go, which is why I am asking for ideas.
    I like mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

I think it's great that you're thinking of spending time on promoting GNU and Ubuntu Linux! I say, go for it!

Beans
    Hidden!

It will definately have a forum, what is a site without forums? I was thinking about using Joomla for the site and SMF for the forums. Both are OS and GNL. Is there a 468x60 banner for Ubuntu that I can put on the site?
    I like mac?

Beans

Things you could do with your website:

-Have a reccomended software package of the week.
    -Have a randon "Did you know this about open source software" generator at the bottom of the page
    -List hacks for popular open source programs
    -Have a list of recomended distros
    -Make some funny videos about Linux or software and post them on the site, preferribly as an open video format.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_so...s#Video_Codecs

Beans
    Hidden!

Great ideas! Keep them coming. And in case I didn't make it plain, I am looking for anyone and everyone that would like to help make the site great. I don't want any paid advertising on the site. I want it to be an unobtrusive, pleasant site that has its purpose and no more. I am a hosting reseller so I am getting the domain and hosting for almost nothing and not worried about recouping the less that 4 bucks a month this will cost me. The time is mine to give freely and anyone else that wants to help out would also be giving their time freely, which is the spirit of open source I would say. So, if you are interested in collaberating let me know here, email me, or join the site in the days to come and just start helping.
    I like mac?

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Cool idea, I think you should make a section that will list all the FOSS software for Windows, so that whoever isn't ready to switch yet can get their feet wet. Also have a list of FOSS alternatives to the most popular CS programs. Actually I think you can combine the two, just have the OS's the software can run on listed and maybe a function to show software for a particular OS.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Hidden!

JimmyJazz has a web radio station that I am really enjoying. I am thinking that adding a section for some stations would be a cool idea.
    I like mac?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast